iPhone 3.0 software adds turn-by-turn directions
Today the Cupertino-based company previewed the iPhone OS 3.0, a new software update on the way that, among many new features, will finally allow turn-by-turn directions. While details are scarce, the new functionality is apparently being opened to software developers who can write their own navigation apps for the iPhone and sell them through the iTunes App Store. The only catch mentioned is that developers will have to provide their own maps, suggesting that plugging into the iPhone's native Google Maps is a no-no. We suspect current third-party navigation manufacturers like TomTom, Garmin and Magellan will be all over this.
Click here to read Engadget's live coverage of the Apple iPhone OS 3.0 preview event.
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models