Not to be confused with the NASCAR Sprint Cup (which Stewart has, incidentally, won three times), sprint car racing pits a tangle of thousand-horsepower racecars (some with wings, some without) against each other, mostly on short oval dirt tracks. There are numerous such series holding races across the United States, Canada and Australia, but the All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series is one of the oldest and longest-standing in America.
In acquiring the series, Stewart is adding to his growing motorsports portfolio that also includes the Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, OH and several racing teams in various series – including the rival World of Outlaws championship. In parallel to his acquisition, Stewart has also reached an agreement with organizers of the Renegade Sprint Series to race under the All Star banner this year, as well.
The All Star series holds races principally in the Northeast and Midwest as well as Florida, This year's calendar kicks off at Bubba Raceway Park early next month before heading to Volusia Speedway, both in the Sunshine state, but the ownership change will designate those as exhibition races not eligible for points towards the $100,000 purse. The first points race, then, will take place at the end of March at Atomic Speedway in Ohio.
January 28, 2015
INDIANAPOLIS (Jan. 28, 2015) – Motorsports entrepreneur Tony Stewart has agreed to terms with Guy Webb, owner of the All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series, to become the sole owner of the original winged sprint car tour.
The All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series is one of the oldest traveling sprint car organizations and is a staple of grassroots, open-wheel racing. The transaction between Webb and Stewart will proceed immediately.
"I've put my heart and soul into the All Star Circuit of Champions for many years, and it gives me great peace of mind to hand over the reins of this series to Tony Stewart," Webb said. "Tony is dirt track racing's biggest advocate, and he's always working in the best interest of sprint car racing. His leadership will ensure the success of this series for many years to come."
"My passion for sprint car racing is well known, and the All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series has been a pillar of the sport for a long time," Stewart said. "Racing is my business, and I look forward to building on the All Star Series' already impressive legacy by taking it to a new level of success and sustainability."
Stewart is a three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion whose portfolio of dirt-track racing businesses include Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio and Tony Stewart Racing, which fields entries for six-time and reigning World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series champion Donny Schatz and 20-time World of Outlaws champion King of the Outlaws, Steve Kinser.
Augmenting the purchase of the All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series are the terms Stewart reached separately with Rob Hunter and Shane Helms, principals of the Renegade Sprint Series. The agreement will bring drivers from both series' together under the All Star Circuit of Champions banner in 2015.
The 2015 UNOH All Star Circuit of Champions schedule boasts 50 race dates and has been assembled through a collaborative effort between sanctioning bodies, existing speedways and promoters new to the series. Highlights include:
- A national point fund totaling more than $100,000.
- Season-opening events at Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala, Florida, Feb. 5-7 and at Volusia Speedway Park near Barberville, Florida, Feb. 11-12. The transition in ownership will see these events designated as non-point races.
- The first point race toward the national point fund will be March 28 at Atomic Speedway near Chillicothe, Ohio.
- Ohio Sprint Speedweek kicks off at Attica Raceway Park followed by traditional stops at Eldora Speedway, Waynesfield Raceway Park, Wayne County Speedway, Sharon Speedway, Atomic Speedway, Fremont Speedway, Limaland Motorsports Park and the $10,000-to-win finale at Fremont.
- Pennsylvania's Williams Grove Speedway, Lincoln Speedway and Port Royal Speedway will again play host to the All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series as part of several tours through the Keystone State.
- The season championship will conclude at the UNOH Sprintacular Oct. 10 at Eldora Speedway.
The full season schedule and new management team will be announced soon, and news updates will be posted as available on www.AllStarSprint.com.
An improved social media presence begins immediately on Twitter.com/@ASCoC, www.facebook.com/AllStarCircuitofChampions and www.Instagram.com/AllStarSprints using the hashtag #TheNewAllStars.
Competitor, media, promoter and sponsorship inquiries should be directed to email@example.com.