Xcar gets an intoxicating dose of Hennessey Venom GT
The Venom GT, as you may be well aware, is based on the Lotus Exige, but modifies it to such a great extent that it really only bears a passing resemblance to its progenitor. The Texas-based tuner slotted in a twin-turbo version of the Dodge Viper's V10 engine and created an entirely custom rear end in which to house it – not unlike how Lotus turned the four-cylinder Elise into the six-cylinder Exige in the first place, only much more so.
The resulting performance machine is so light and powerful that it clocked a top speed of over 270 miles per hour at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. But while the record couldn't be certified by the folks at Guinness for a number of reasons, it's still enough to make America proud.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies