• 3
The FTC released a report with the reasons behind the gas price increase in 2006. Live in a cave and don't recall the increase in gas price in 2006? As shown in the above graph, the weekly average gas price started the year at $2.28 in February. It quickly rose to an average May to September of $2.90, an increase of .62, peaking at $3.02 in August. 42 percent of Americans thought Bush did it.

The FTC report gives 6 reasons for the increase in oil prices. 1. Summer demand. 2. Price of crude. 3. Price of ethanol. The FTC says the first 3 account for .47 of the .62 increase and were easy to calculate. The last 3, .15 of the .62 increase, are more complicated and exact impact on price harder to calculate. 4. Transition from MTBE to ethanol 5. Refinery problems and finally 6. Demand that's not seasonal. Go below the fold to read more.

[Source: Bloomberg, FTC] 1. Summer demand. The average increase in seasonal demand 2001 to 2005 was .14. The increase 2004 to 2005 was .21. Therefore, the so called gasoline spread for 2006 is .14-.21 of the .62 increase. Seems an odd way to calculate demand to me but whatever.

2. Price of crude. The price of crude went from $61.63 in February, to an average May to September of $72.34, up $10.71. The production cost increase and expected cost to the consumer is therefore .26.

3. The price of ethanol. The price of ethanol increased .62 May to August. Ethanol only makes up 3.7 percent of gas by volume. Therefore the cost increase due to ethanol is 0.023. Yes, the report actually included the the third decimal place.

Summer demand .14-.21 + .26, price of crude + .023, price of ethanol = about .47 or 75 percent of the increase. The remaining .13-.20 or 25 percent is not so simple because of things like foreign refiners. By itself, the reduction in refinery capacity of 2.5-4.1 percent would mean an increase of $1.35-$2.21. BUT Imports increased keeping the impact to just .13-.20.

Of the 2.5-4.1 percent in decreased capacity, .6-.8 were due to 4. Transition to ethanol from MTBE. 5. The remaining reductions were due to outages, transition low sulfur and other refinery problems. Finally, 6. Demands other than seasonal. There were increases in population and the number of average miles driven. Even with price increases, non-seasonal demand was also higher.

So, that's it. That's why gas was $3 last year. Turns out it was not Bush. This is AutoblogGreen, so I feel I have to say 85 mentions of ethanol in the 27 page report seemed a bit excessive. Oil was mentioned just 43 times. Assuming refinery problems accounts for the entire .13-.20, which it probably could not, worst case is the total impact of ethanol much less than a nickel. Why mention it so prominently FTC?


I'm reporting this comment as:

Reported comments and users are reviewed by Autoblog staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week to determine whether they violate Community Guideline. Accounts are penalized for Community Guidelines violations and serious or repeated violations can lead to account termination.


    • 1 Second Ago
  • 3 Comments
      • 7 Years Ago
      Yeah, those reasons and a continuing war in the ME creating fear, instability and most importantly *opportunity*.
      • 3 Years Ago
      Notice that in 2005 -2006 gas prices starting going way up.. then at the end of 2006 the "housing crisis" began. People did not have the extra cushion they usually had to pay bills, that cushion went to fill up the tank. People started to get behind on thier bills. Then they get so far behind they just gave up. Now gas is $3.50 a gallon and nobody has any money? Companies don't have money to keep people employed. The key to fixing the economy is to fix the gas prices.
      • 4 Years Ago
      It is interesting how prices go up and down, I am not sure any president has complete control of prices on anything. Having said that, it seems when an Obama surpporter is asked if he or she is doing better under his adminstration, they will not give a simple yes or no answer, but began attacking George W. Bush. So, are things better or worse?
    Advertisement

    From Our Partners

    2015 Ford Mustang
    MSRP: $23,800 - $46,170
    2015 Toyota Highlander
    MSRP: $29,765 - $44,140
    2015 Mazda Mazda3
    MSRP: $16,945 - $25,545
    2015 Volkswagen Passat
    MSRP: $21,340 - $35,995
    2015 Honda Accord
    MSRP: $22,105 - $33,630
    Advertisement