There have been many cases where racing technology has made its way down the ladder right into the cars that we use to drive to work. Flywheels could be the next such advancement. The pinnacle of racing motorsports, Formula 1, is investigating the possibility of using flywheels for energy storage. The idea is old, but recent advancements in low-mass high-strength materials may finally make flywheels a reality.
- Shane Addie
- Oct 5, 2007
Daren Luedtke of Mansfield, Missouri, has invented not one but two transmissions he claims will be "the future of transportation." One is an electromagnetic transmission which is pulling duty in his 'vintage' Dodge Caravan <yuck> prototype vehicle, the other is a belt-driven transmission, which he claims can perform in any application that the electromagnetic transmission cannot.
- 2018 Honda Accord First Drive
- 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV First Drive
- Updated Crossover Buying Guides
- Leaked 2018 Honda Gold Wing photos
- Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class earns top IIHS rating
- Find and compare 2018 models