Of the six teams that completed the DARPA Urban Challenge this weekend, the Tartan Racing Team from Carnegie Mellon University came away with the $2 million first place prize. The fully autonomous Chevy Tahoe navigated an urban environment with the best time and fewest errors. The vehicles had to obey traffic laws and obstacles while getting to their destination with no outside intervention. The $1 million second place prize went to the Stanford Racing team (winner of the previous Grand Challeng
Darpa Urban Challenge
- Sam Abuelsamid
- Nov 4, 2007
When DARPA ran their first Grand Challenge event for autonomous vehicles a few years ago it was a complete fiasco. Most of the competitors never even got away from the starting line and the best vehicles made it only 7.4 miles into the 150 mile desert course. A repeat attempt a year later resulted in five finishers on a shorter 120 mile course. The winner was a VW Touareg TDI entered by Stanford University and Volkswagen.
- Volvo XC40 revealed | Style and substance
- Genesis G70 | Arrow to the heart of the Germans
- Updated Crossover Buying Guides
- Nissan Leaf Quick Spin: Will it electrify buyers?
- Ford Ranger Raptor: What it might look like
- Find and compare 2018 models