Alphabet's self-driving car division Waymo seeks to completely block Uber's autonomous vehicle operations, according to new documents filed in federal court Friday. The documents are part of Waymo's lawsuit filed against Uber last month and the company is seeking a preliminary injunction which could prohibit Uber's self-driving vehicle tests while the case is ongoing.
As the Verge reports, the documents filed today claim Uber is operating using stolen materials and include the sworn testimony of Google forensic security engineer Gary Brown. As we heard last month, Brown's testimony alleges former Google engineer Anthony Levandowski used his personal laptop to download 9.7 GB of confidential materials related to Google's self-driving project in December of 2015. According to Brown, Levandowski's device left a trail in Google's logs, making him easy to track. Brown also says there's evidence that two other Google engineers Radu Raduta and Sameer Kshirsagar helped download confidential material.
Levandowski left Google to start autonomous trucking company Otto in January 2016, which Uber acquired a few months later for $680 million. Uber's own self-driving pilot program officially went live in Pittsburgh in September. Raduta and Kshirsagar were both poached away by Otto and followed Levandowski to Uber after the buyout.
Last month, an Uber spokesperson told Engadget "We take the allegations made against Otto and Uber employees seriously and we will review this matter carefully." So far, Uber has not issued a statement on today's preliminary injunction, but we'll update as we know more.
This article by Andrew Dalton originally appeared on Engadget, your source for this connected world.