The state of Nebraska offers a number of benefits and perks for those Americans who have either served in an Armed Forces branch in the past, or are current active military members.

License and registration tax and fee exemption

In order to qualify for a motor vehicle tax exemption in Nebraska, active military personnel who have not established legal residence in Nebraska may qualify for issuance of plates as Non-Resident Military Personnel. The designation is received by completing the following:

  • Current Leave and Earnings statement

  • Legal evidence of ownership issued in their name or a certified photocopy of the following:

  • Assigned foreign Certificate of Title

  • Nebraska Certificate of Title

  • Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin

  • Importer’s Certificate

  • License Registration Certificates

Upon receipt of proof that is deemed satisfactory, military personnel shall be exempted from paying vehicle tax; which also holds true for the spouse of military personnel.

Military Driver’s License Exemption

If you are on active duty in the military and stationed outside of Nebraska, there are special driver’s licensing rules that will apply to you, as well as to your family that are the benefit of your military status. As long as you remain on active duty, any driver’s license that was issued on or after August 27, 1971 retains validity for up to 60 days following your discharge or your return to Nebraska, whichever is later.

Should you qualify for this military exemption, you may request Form 07-08 from the Nebraska DMV, which comes in the form of a small card that is attached to your driver’s license. The form can be obtained by sending a signed and dated request along with a legible copy of your Nebraska driver’s license along with a copy of your current military orders to:

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Records Division
Attn: Military Exemption
PO Box 94789
Lincoln, NE 65809-4789

Driver’s license veteran designation

Effective 7-1-2014, in order to obtain Veteran’s Designation on your license, you must first register with the Nebraska Department of Veteran’s Affairs Registry here or by contacting the VA at 402-471-2450. There is no additional charge for adding Veteran designation at the time of license renewal. Questions related to this request should be directed to: Nebraska Department of Veteran’s Affairs, 301 Centennial Mall South, Lincoln, NE 68509. Replacement document fees may be charged if you request this designation before your standard renewal period for your driver’s license.

Disabled American Veterans license plate

Anyone who was honorably discharged or separated and is designated a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces and who is classified as 100% disabled may receive a Disabled American Veterans license plate. A Certificate of Title must be issued in their name for the vehicle in question, and the applicant’s name must appear on the registration. Once processed, the applicant will be notified once their plate is available for pickup at their County Treasurer’s office. It’s important to note that Disabled American Veteran License Plates do not allow registered owners to legally park in handicapped spaces in Nebraska. Instead, a separate Handicapped License Plate application is required, which can be found here.

Military honor plates

Nebraska offers various military honor license plates. Eligibility for each of these plates requires certain criteria be met, including proof of current or past military service (honorable discharge), as well as proof of enrollment in Nebraska Veterans’ Registry through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Available military plate designs:

  • United States Army
  • United States Air Force
  • United States Coast Guard
  • United States Marine Corps
  • United States National Guard
  • United States Navy
  • Disabled American Veteran
  • Ex-Prisoner of War
  • Pearl Harbor Survivor
  • Purple Heart

There is no limit to the number of owned vehicles which can receive these military license plates; however, there is a $40 charge for Military Honor Message Plates or a $5 charge for Military Honor Numeric Plates, both costs which must be renewed annually with vehicle registration.

Disabled Veteran Motor Vehicle Tax Exemption

Approval for a Disabled American Veterans License Plate does not automatically qualify you for an exemption on your motor vehicle tax; an exemption which is available for one motor vehicle owned by a blind or disabled veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces and used for primary transportation. Disabled is defined as amputation or loss of use of one or more extremities, or suffered blindness or serious impairment of vision. To learn more about qualification, veterans should contact their local County Treasurer.

Active or veteran military personnel who wish to find out more about veteran and military driver laws and benefits in Nebraska can consult the state’s motor vehicle division website here.

This article originally appeared on as Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Nebraska.

Skip the Repair Shop

Our Mechanics Make House Calls

Autoblog is partnering with YourMechanic to bring many of the repair and maintenance services you need right to you.
Get service at your home or office 7 days a week with fair and transparent pricing.

Get An Instant Quote

Share This Photo X