Without a car title, you’re in a tight spot if you decide to sell the car or trade it in on a new one. The same thing applies if you move out of Indiana – you can’t register it without a title. Titles are easily lost, though. They’re also easily damaged and can be stolen. If you find yourself in this situation, don’t worry. The answer is to get a duplicate title for your car. Indiana actually makes it very easy to do.
There are four ways to get a duplicate title in the state of Indiana. You can do it online, by mail, at a local BMV branch, or through a BMV Certified Partner. Regardless of which option you choose, there are several steps that must be followed.
Before you can apply for a duplicate title, you’ll need the following:
- A valid form of photo ID. Indiana accepts a wide range of options, including state-issued a driver’s license, a work ID, a military ID, a bank card (with photo) and more.
- Vehicle identification. This can be your car’s registration, the VIN number and more.
- A lien release form if there is a lienholder.
Note that any form of ID used must be currently valid.
To apply by mail:
In addition to the information above, anyone applying for a duplicate title by mail will need to:
Complete Form 44049 (Application for Certificate of Title)
Include payment of $8
Mail your paperwork and other information (including copies of your ID and vehicle information) to this address:
100 N. Senate Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Your duplicate title will be mailed to you.
To apply in person
To apply in person at a local branch or BMV Certified Partner, you will need to:
- Bring all the paperwork mentioned above
- Complete Form 44049
- Bring your payment of $8
To apply online
To apply online, you will need to:
- Visit myBMV.com
- Follow the prompts and enter the required information
- Provide payment for the $8 fee
Your duplicate title will be mailed to the address you provide on myBMV.com.
For more information, visit the Illinois BMV website.
This article originally appeared on YourMechanic.com as How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Car Title in Indiana and was authored by Valerie Johnston.