Your car title does more than just prove that you are the legal owner. It allows you to sell your car when the time comes, or trade it in for a new vehicle. It will also be required if you move out of Arkansas and need to register your car in a new state. It’s a very important document, but it’s all too easy to lose it, or for it to even be stolen. Titles can also be damaged and if they’re made illegible, they won’t be legal. Thankfully, you can work with the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration to get a duplicate of your lost, stolen, or damaged car title.
The state of Arkansas lets you apply for a duplicate title by visiting a revenue office in person. You’ll also need to make sure you bring several things with you.
To apply in person:
- To apply for a duplicate title in person, you will need to complete Form 10-381 (Vehicle Registration Application).
- The form needs to be signed by the last person to have their name on the title.
- If more than one person was named, and the names were joined by “and”, then both signatures need to be on the form.
- If the names were joined by “or”, then either party can sign the form.
- You’ll need to bring identifying information on the vehicle, such as the VIN or license plate number.
- You’ll need to pay $10 for a duplicate/replacement title.
- You should receive your new title in the mail within three weeks.
To apply for a duplicate car title for out of state residents:
Complete Form 10-381.
Include the out of state address for mailing your duplicate title.
Provide a copy of your current registration.
Include the $10 fee.
Mail the information to the following address:
Department of Finance and Administration
Special License Unit
PO Box 1272
Little Rock, AR 72201
Note If there is a lienholder on the vehicle, they must be notified and will have to completed Form 10-315 (Permission to Issue a Replacement Title). The new title will not be mailed to you in this instance, but to the lienholder.
For more information, see the Arkansas DFA website.
This article originally appeared on YourMechanic.com as How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Car Title in Arkansas.
Skip the Repair Shop
Our Mechanics Make House Calls
Autoblog is partnering with YourMechanic to bring many of the repair and maintenance services you need right to you.
Get service at your home or office 7 days a week with fair and transparent pricing.