Current and new residents of New York are required to have their cars registered with the New York DMV. Having a registration is imperative for you to drive on the New York roadways without fear of getting ticketed. Every year, you will have to take the time to get the registration renewed. If you're a current resident, you'll get a notice in the mail from the New York DMV when your registration needs to be renewed. This means you will need to make concessions to renew the registration as soon as you can. Here is what you will need to do when trying to handle this process:
Getting it taken care of online
When trying to renew the registration online, you will need to make sure you are approved to do so. Usually, the notice that you will receive will tell you whether you are able to take advantage of this option. Here is what you will need to do if you are able renew online:
- The first thing that you will need is your notice
- Be sure to get the PIN on the notice
- Enter in your driver’s license number
- Pay the fees that you owe
Go in person
The next option that you have when trying to renew your registration is going to the DMV in person. Here is what you will need when going to the DMV:
- A completed Vehicle Registration/Title Application
- A copy of your New York driver’s license
- The money to pay the fees that you owe
The registration renewal fees
The following are the fees that you will have to pay when trying to renew your registration:
- 1,650 lbs or less vehicles will cost $26 to renew
- 1,751 to 1,850 lbs vehicles will cost $29 to renew
- 1,951 lb. vehicles and over will cost between $32.50 to $71 to renew
The emissions test
You will have to pass both an emissions test and an On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) check every 12 months to be approved for registration renewal. You can get more information about this process by going to the New York DMV website.
This article originally appeared on YourMechanic.com as How to Renew Your Car Registration in New York.
Skip the Repair Shop
Our Mechanics Make House Calls
Autoblog is partnering with YourMechanic to bring many of the repair and maintenance services you need right to you.
Get service at your home or office 7 days a week with fair and transparent pricing.