In order to be able to drive on Indiana roadways legally, you will have to get your car registered with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Every year, this registration will have to be renewed. The last thing that you want to do is ignore this renewal due to the money it could cost you later on. The best part about the Indiana BMV is that they will send out a notice. This will help you to keep up with your registration and will reduce the chance that you will forget. Here is what will usually be on the notice when it comes in the mail:
- The details about the fees that you owe
- The date you need to renew your registration by
- The details about how you can renew
- The emission testing requirements
Renew the registration online
If you are looking for a fast and convenient way to renew your registration, you can take advantage of the online option. In order to do this you will need to create an account on the myBMV.com website. After you do this, you will need to follow these steps:
- Have proof that you have passed the emissions test
- Go to the BMV Easy Plate Renewal Page
- Look over the information that is on the site about your car
- Pay the fee that you owe for renewal
- Print the receipt to keep in the car
Mail in the renewal paperwork
If you would rather take a more traditional approach, then you can use the mailing option. The following are the steps that you will need to take when trying to mail in your renewal.
- Pass the emission test and have the certificate to send
- Make a check out to the Indiana BMV for the fees that you ow
- Mail the envelope to the address that is on your notice
Go to the BMV office for in person renewal
For some, going in to the BMV office to handle this process in person is the best option. When going to the BMV, here is what you will need to have with you:
- The renewal notice that came in the mail
- Proof of auto insurance
- Certificate of emissions test completion
- Fees that you owe
The renewal fees
The fees that you will pay to renew the registration of your vehicle will be based on where you live and what type of vehicle you have.
Requirements that have to be met for renewal
In order to be able to renew the registration on your car, you will need both an adequate insurance policy and in some areas you will have to pass an emissions test. Be sure to check the notice that you get to see if you have to undergo this type of testing. Go to the Indiana DMV website to get more information.
This article originally appeared on YourMechanic.com as How to Renew Your Car Registration in Indiana and was authored by Valerie Johnston.