The joyride didn't end well for two of the teens when they crashed near pit lane. According to Road & Track, a 15-year-old girl suffered head and torso injuries and was taken to the hospital via helicopter. A 15-year-old boy with harm to his head and arm went to a different hospital. Their wounds reportedly weren't life threatening.
The karts belong to Endurance Karting, LLC, which has an event scheduled at Lime Rock on Friday and Saturday. Company spokesperson Chris McCoy told Autoblog that there are still enough karts for this weekend. He couldn't speak to whether the business is pursuing criminal charges or a civil case against the teens, but there was "significant property damage," McCoy said.
From Lime Rock Park
Five teens, exact ages unknown, broke into Lime Rock Park approximately 8:00 p.m., took five go-karts from a karting school company which is scheduled to hold its programs Friday and Saturday, and then drove them on the race track. At some point, two of the five kids crashed the go-karts near pit lane.
From Endurance Karting, LLC
Endurance Karting confirms that unauthorized persons used their karts while the track was closed, which seems to confirm that there was a break-in at the track:
1) There was an incident involving several of our karts.
2) The incident did not occur during an Endurance Karting sanctioned event. The sanctioned event is on Friday and Saturday.
3) The incident occurred while the Lime Rock Park facility was closed.
4) No one was authorized by Endurance Karting or Lime Rock Park to be operating a kart on the grounds at that time.
5) Those involved were not Endurance Karting customers, employees, or guests.