Leading the charge is 8NR-FTS, a new 1.2-liter turbocharged and direct-injected engine that uses a single-scroll turbocharger and a water-cooled exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head. The engine promises to deliver "responsive acceleration and maximum torque across a wide rpm range" combined with "drastically improved thermal and fuel efficiency." It features what Toyota calls D-4T technology – combining direct-injection with a turbocharger in a four-stroke engine – as well as continuously variable intake valve timing. The result is an engine that produces 114 horsepower and 136 pound-feet of torque from just 1,196 cubic centimeters of displacement.
The engine is being rolled out initially on a redesigned version of the Auris hatchback (similar to the Scion iM we'll be getting Stateside) that's being introduced in Japan. In addition to the 1.2-liter turbo, the JDM Auris will also be available with a 1.5- and 1.8-liter engines. Buyers will also be able to choose between CVT and six-speed manual transmissions (the latter only available with the 1.8), in front- or all-wheel drive and in six trim levels – of which the 120T with the new 1.2 and CVT is the top. The refreshed Auris also benefits from revised sheetmetal, interior equipment and safety features.
We're awaiting word back from Toyota on whether this new engine (or some derivative thereof) will be made available in North America, but in the meantime you can scope out all the details on both the engine and the new Auris in the press releases below and in the pair of high-resolution image galleries.
Toyota City, Japan, April 6, 2015―The partially redesigned Toyota Auris, offering a newly developed turbo engine and a brand new safety package, went on sale in Japan today. Featuring significant interior and exterior changes, this latest redesign advances the Auris brand by building on the individuality and performance that has defined the model since its first generation. In addition, Toyota has combined the best of the model's new features by creating the high-end 120T grade.
Across all grades, Toyota aims to sell 1,000 units per month in Japan.
Newly developed 1.2-liter direct-injection turbo engine
The 120T grade comes with Toyota's newly developed 1.2-liter direct-injection turbo engine (8NR-FTS), and also offers an extensive range of comfort-enhancing features.
- Peak torque is generated at a wide range of rpms between 1,500 rpm and 4,000 rpm. This, combined with Super CVT-i adjusted to bring out the best in the turbo engine, ensures responsive acceleration and smooth, exhilarating performance.
- Thermal efficiency has been improved by using an exhaust manifold integrated with the cylinder head, a larger variable angle VVT-iW (intake side), and an advanced D-4T1 fuel injection system. Additionally, the Stop & Start idling-stop function improves fuel efficiency.
- At 19.4 km/L, fuel efficiency2 exceeds the Japanese government's 2015 fuel economy standards (as specified in the Act on the Rational Use of Energy) by at least 10 percent. Additionally, emissions are at least 75 percent lower than the 2005 standards set under the Japanese government's Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles. As a result, the 120T grade is eligible for the Japanese government's subsidies and tax incentives for eco-cars.
- Standard features include a specially designed instrument panel with wood-grain finish, and seat fabric made from a combination of Ultrasuede3, leather and artificial leather for a smooth feel. Driver experience is further enhanced other standard features such as cruise control, heated driver and passenger seats, an auto anti-glare inside rear view mirror.
All-new active safety package
As part of a multi-faceted approach to support safety on the road, the recently-announced Toyota Safety Sense C package uses both a laser radar unit and a camera to achieve high reliability and performance. The package comes standard on 1.2-liter turbo and 1.8-liter models, and is available as an option on 1.5-liter models.
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) uses a camera and laser radar to detect objects ahead of the vehicle, and when there is a possibility of collision it prompts the driver to brake with an audio and visual alert. If the driver fails to brake in time, the system automatically applies the brakes, reducing speed by approximately 30 km/h in order to prevent or mitigate the collision4. The operational range of PCS covers speeds at which at least 80 percent of rear-end collisions occur (i.e. relative speeds of between approximately 10 km/h and 80 km/h).
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) uses a camera to detect white and yellow lane markings. If the vehicle starts to deviate from the lane, LDA alerts the driver with an audio and visual alert.
- Automatic High Beam (AHB) helps ensure excellent forward visibility during nighttime driving. It uses a camera to detect the headlights of oncoming vehicles and the tail lights of vehicles ahead, and then automatically switches between high beams and low beams so as not to interfere with the vision of other drivers.
- A newly added special function alerts drivers with an audio and visual alert when preceding vehicles have started to move after waiting at a traffic signal. This is a standard feature on 1.2-liter turbo and 1.8-liter models, and is available as an option on 1.5-liter models.
Expressive interior and exterior design
- The Auris achieves a greater sense of presence thanks to an upper grille garnished with chrome to accentuate the headlights, a lower grille that expands to the corners of the bumpers, and horizontal rear bumpers. Additionally, a 55-mm increase in overall length gives the Auris more stylish, flowing proportions.
- The 1.8-liter, manual transmission RS grade boasts an exclusive, sporty design thanks to aerodynamic parts such as a honeycomb front grille, spoilers (front and rear bumpers), and side rocker molding.
- An advanced, high-quality image is conveyed through the use of piano black and a satin chrome plated finish that accentuates contrast in the center cluster area. Additionally, four distinct types of instrument panel ornamentation are available to match each grade perfectly.
- The speedometer and tachometer combo5 offers style and visibility thanks to ornamental standout metal rings and a 4.2-inch color TFT multi-information display.
- Seven exterior colors, including two newly developed colors (Blue Metallic and Citrus Mica Metallic), are available.
- The 150X grade is available in Rouge, a vibrant and unique new interior color.
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices
|S Package||2,085,382 Yen|
|C Package||4WD||1,984,255 Yen|
|S Package||2,279,782 Yen|
|RS||6-speed manual||2,460,437 Yen|
|Super CVT-i||2,590,037 Yen|
|*Includes consumption tax; does not include recycling fees; differs in Hokkaido and Okinawa|
1Direct-injection 4 stroke gasoline engine with Turbo
2Under the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism's (MLIT) JC08 test cycle
3Registered trademark of Toray Industries, Inc.
4System operation depends on driving environment (including road and weather) and vehicle circumstances.
5Excluding the 150X C Package and 150X grades
Link to the "Auris" webpage (Japanese only) http://toyota.jp/auris/
Toyota Doubles Turbo Offerings in New Engine Lineup
Toyota City, Japan, April 6, 2015-Toyota is ready to debut its second turbocharged entry in a series of new engines with drastically improved thermal and fuel efficiency.
The new 8NR-FTS 1.2-liter direct-injection turbo engine will be available as an option for the partially redesigned Auris, which went on sale in Japan today. Like the other entries in Toyota's new engine lineup, development of the 8NR-FTS is a culmination of Toyota's years of hybrid and conventional powertrain development, including breakthroughs in combustion and loss-reduction technologies. As a result, it delivers superb driving performance and acceleration, while also achieving impressive fuel efficiency and world-leading thermal efficiency.
The engine pairs a single-scroll turbocharger with a cylinder head that uses an integrated water-cooled exhaust manifold to optimize exhaust temperature. This enables adaptive intake cooling that is not affected by the engine's thermal load. The result: responsive acceleration and maximum torque across a wide rpm range.
Toyota has also improved combustion speed by creating a strong tumble flow (a vertically-rotating swirl) inside the cylinder. This, together with advanced D-4T*1 technology, creates an ideal air-fuel mixture. In addition, continuous variable valve timing on the intake (VVT-iW*2) allows the engine to use the Atkinson cycle*3 by adjusting valve timing according to load. These improvements combine to produce maximum thermal efficiency of 36 percent*4, a leading level among mass-produced gasoline engines.
Despite the success of hybrids, Toyota is aware that vehicles with conventional powertrains still represent the majority of vehicles sold. By constantly increasing environmental performance across its entire vehicle lineup, Toyota aims to offer a portfolio of environment-friendly vehicles that meet the diverse needs of consumers.
8NR-FTS Main Specifications
|Bore/stroke ratio||71.5×74.5 mm|
|Maximum output||85 kw (116 PS)/5,200-5,600 rpm|
|Maximum torque||185 N･m (18.9 kgf･m)/1,500-4,000 rpm|
*1Direct-injection 4 stroke gasoline engine with Turbo
*2Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide
*3Combustion cycle in which thermal efficiency is improved by making the expansion ratio larger than the compression ratio, thereby improving fuel efficiency