Shelby has no qualms about constantly upping the horsepower of its range-topping Ford GT500 Super Snake. When first introduced in 2008, the base Super Snake had a mere 605 ponies under the hood with an option for up to 725. That number increased to 750 for 2010, and now for the 2012 model year, Shelby is set to unveil the latest Super Snake with up to 800 tire-shredding horsepower on tap from its 5.4-liter supercharged V8.
Like previous Super Snake models, the latest version will come with a host of other upgrades including a sport suspension system, Baer six-piston brakes, Borla exhaust system, Alcoa 20-inch wheels, fiberglass hood and more.
We'll get our first look at the 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake when it debuts at the New York Auto Show later this month, but until then, you can read more details about the car in the press release after the jump or check out the outgoing car in our gallery below.
"Shelby American has a rich history at the New York International Auto Show," said John Luft, president of Shelby American Inc. "The very first Shelby car was introduced there in 1962, as well as the 1968 and 2008 Shelby GT500KR and the 2006 Shelby Hertz GT-H. This year, we're returning with one of the most powerful and important Shelbys ever built."
Born on the drag strip and road course of Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Shelby American and its partner Ford Racing, created an aggressive suspension and engine package that turns the Ford Shelby GT500 into a world class supercar. Even more power is available for the 2012 model year. There will be a limited production of Super Snakes available to customers starting May 1, 2011.
"With more horsepower, the 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake is a strong performer both on the road and the track," noted Gary Patterson, vice president of operations at Shelby American. "This Super Snake will deliver the driving experience that enthusiasts expect from the Shelby brand."
The new Super Snake post title package is one of the very few vehicles that generates up to 800 horsepower on pump gas. Not only is the high performance vehicle legal in 50 states, the unique, limited production supercar allows Shelby fans the opportunity to experience the power of one of America's legendary muscle cars for under $100,000; this includes the Shelby Super Snake package and the GT500 base vehicle.
The 2012 Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake post title package includes:
• Ford Racing handling pack including dynamic adjustable dampers, lowering springs, tuned stabilizer bars and front strut tower brace
• An optional Shelby / Eibach handling pack is available
• 6-speed manual transmission with 3.73:1 rear axle ratio and short-throw shifter
• The standard tune upgrades power to over 750 HP and 590 ft./lbs. of torque
• Optional Shelby / Kenne Bell 800 horsepower tune on pump gas
• Borla exhaust system
• Shelby-designed Alcoa 20-inch wheels in durabright or anthracite
• Forged Shelby / Baer brakes with 6 piston calipers and cross drilled / vented rotors
• Front brake cooling ducts and behind the door side scoops
• Unique fiberglass hood featuring classic Shelby design and pins
• Shelby signature Super Snake stripes in either matte black or matte white
• "Super Snake" vehicle badges and official Shelby CSM interior plate
• "Shelby" lettering across the rear deck lid
• Optional two tone leather interior
• Shelby signature embroidered headrests, floor mats and other Shelby designed components
Customers can build their dream Shelby Super Snake online with Shelby American's new "Build-One" car building program at http://shelbyamerican.com/buildhome.asp.
The 2012 Shelby GT350 coupe and convertible will also be exhibited at the Shelby American booth, #1325, during the New York Auto Show. The 2012 model year car is offered in two new body colors, Race Red and Kona Blue. Those interested in a Shelby GT500 Super Snake or Shelby GT350 should call (702) 942-7325 or log onto www.shelbyamerican.com.