Chevrolet Corvette Z06X Concept – Click above for high-res image gallery
was kind enough to give us a sneak sampling of what the company has planned for SEMA 2010
, and the star of the show looks to be the car you see above. Called the Corvette Z06X
, the bruiser is effectively a race-ready behemoth with a host of suspension tweaks and a slew of weight-reducing materials on board. Built by the Corvette
legends at Pratt and Miller, this Satin White machine started its life as a Z06
with the CFZ carbon-fiber package. Throw in an adjustable rear wing borrowed straight from the C6R along with a full SCCA roll cage and you've got the bones for go-fast trackday goodness.
Under the hood, the standard LS7 V8 benefits from a new low-restriction intake and a more robust coolant system. The suspension wizards at PFADT were so kind as to supply a set of mono-ball control arm bushings, adjustable stabilizer bars and a complete coilover suspension, too.
has also bolted on a new raised carbon-fiber hood along with carbon headlight housings to shave a few pounds. The biggest weight savings, however, has to come from the polycarbonate rear window which is also lifted straight from the C6R. Hit the jump
for the full press release and check out our gallery below.
Photos copyright ©2010 Zach Bowman / AOL
2011 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06X TRACK CAR CONCEPT
Corvette is a mainstay on racing circuits ranging from LeMans to club racing. Chevrolet's Corvette Z06X Concept suggests a new idea and components for transforming a production Corvette into a serious, closed-course track car.
The Corvette Z06X Concept showcases how an enthusiast can leverage Chevrolet's expanding portfolio of performance parts to create a full-on track car. Chevrolet teamed with Pratt and Miller, partners in Corvette Racing in the American LeMans Series, to create this Z06X track car concept.
"Racing is an integral part of Corvette performance and technology," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. "This concept car represents a mid-point between our GT race car and the production Z06, prepared by the team responsible for the Corvette Racing C6.R race cars, and featuring many performance parts owners can choose today."
The Z06X concept is based on the Corvette Z06 with the 1LZ equipment package, along with the Z07 Performance Package and CFZ Carbon Fiber Package. The 2011 Z06 with the Z07 package creates the lightest production Corvette and includes carbon ceramic brakes and Magnetic Ride Control, while the CFZ package offers body components that enhance aerodynamic down force on the race track, including a front splitter.
The Z06X Concept features competition-oriented modifications including: an adjustable carbon fiber rear wing, a polycarbonate rear window, roll cage, racing seat and safety harness, racing wheels, suspension enhancements – including coil-over struts with fully adjustable camber plates – racing-spec cooling system and more. The radio, carpeting and sound-deadening material are also removed.
The concept vehicle wears a low-gloss Icy White Metallic exterior color, accented with exposed carbon fiber body components and red trim. It rides on black racing wheels and racing tires. The interior is all business, with a racing seat, window net and roll cage-mounted camera system. It includes a racing pedal kit, a Genuine Corvette Accessory.
"It's a classic case of form following function," said Dave Ross, design manager. "The exterior color and accents were carefully selected to enhance the Corvette's racing-influenced design, but there's nothing superfluous in the Z06X's design – everything is there for a reason."
* Low-gloss Icy White Metallic color with exposed carbon fiber and red accents
* 2011 CFZ-option carbon fiber package, including splitter and rockers
* Adjustable carbon fiber wing
* ZR1 carbon fiber roof panel and B-pillar panels
* Carbon fiber raised hood (from the Z06 Carbon Limited Edition)
* Carbon fiber headlamp housings from Specter Werkes/Sports
* Weight-saving and shatter-resistant polycarbonate rear window
* Base Z06 1LZ trim
* Radio, carpeting and sound-deadening material removed
* SCCA-spec roll cage
* SCCA-approved window net
* Racing seat with five-point safety harness
* Fire suppression system
* Driver's drink system
* Video camera system mounted on the roll cage
* Genuine Corvette Accessory racing pedal kit
* LS7 7.0L V-8 engine and Tremec six-speed manual transmission
* Low-restriction air intake system
* High-capacity radiator and enhanced cooling system
* New-for-2011 Z07 Performance Package, feature Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors and special brake pads
* Lightweight racing wheels in black; 19-inch (front) and 20-inch (rear)
* Michelin racing tires
* Mono-ball control arm bushing
* Adjustable stabilizer bars
* Coil-over struts with adjustable camber plates