The Mitsubishi i-MiEV isn't getting any cheaper as availability expands beyond Japan. The next market to get the little electric car will be the United Kingdom, and pricing was announced today. Including the 17.5-percent value added tax, the i-MiEV will run British buyers a cool £33,699 before a £5,000 government subsidy. That equates to about $50,500 at current exchange rates, well above the pre-subsidy price in the low $40K range in Japan.
On the EU test cycle, the range estimate has dropped from the 100 miles measured in Japan to only 80 miles and real-world results will quite possibly be even less than that.
Even with an electrical operating cost of about $214 for 12,000 miles of annual driving, it's going to take a long time
to come out ahead financially. The standard gas-engined i is not available in the UK, but the sub-compact Colt starts at just £8,999. On the other hand, early adopters are helping to subsidize the future... if they can afford the present that is.
MITSUBISHI MOTORS (UK) ANNOUNCES i-MiEV UK PRICING AND SPECIFICATIONS
Mitsubishi Motors (UK) is pleased to announce the on-sale price of the Mitsubishi innovative Electric Vehicle – the i-MiEV.
Price and Incentives
For orders delivered to the customer from January 1st 2011, to coincide with the UK government's recently announced Consumer Incentive Scheme, the price has been set at £33,699 including VAT. The government grant will be worth £5,000 off the purchase price of qualifying electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.
The ultra-low running costs of the i-MiEV are a key advantage over other cars, with additional incentives including:
* Only £115 fuel costs for 12,000 miles driving (£0.96 pence for a full charge)
* Low servicing costs and downtime – only approximately 4 working parts compared to over 300 in a typical internal combustion engine
* Exempt from road tax (saving approx £300 per annum)
* First year capital allowances for fleet vehicles
* Zero benefit-in-kind company car tax
* Lower rate of VAT for domestic electricity
* Exempt from congestion charge (saving up to £2,000 per annum)
* Free parking in many London boroughs and cities such as Milton Keynes
* Expected high residual values due to high demand outstripping supply for several years to come
Lance Bradley, Mitsubishi Motors UK's MD
Lance Bradley, Mitsubishi Motors UK's Managing Director, said:
"These are exciting times for the motor industry in the UK. This is the biggest change in the automotive industry since it began some one hundred years ago, so to be able to offer our zero emissions car for this price is a truly great achievement.
We are aware that, by their very nature, any new technologies always command a premium, which has been true for anything from plasma televisions to cars. Others make price claims and estimations, but we have a real vehicle that is available now and is proven in the real world."
Mitsubishi's newly opened Electric Vehicle Centre in Central London has already taken its first orders for delivery in January, and enquiry levels have soared following the Government's consumer incentive announcement on 25th February.
The Mitsubishi Electric Vehicle Centre has been operational for customer enquiries and demonstrations since mid-February and customers can contact the Centre on 0207 546 8331 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personalise with Bespoke Accessories
The i-MiEV's award-winning design makes a big statement in its own right, but Mitsubishi Motors (UK) will also be offering a bespoke accessory programme for the i-MiEV.
Customers will be able to fully personalise their car from a wide range of environmentally friendly and premium accessories including floor mats made from bio-degradable bamboo fibre; specialist leather seat trims including a monogram service; and a special collection of exterior vehicle designs – from Union Jack Flags to special customer requests.
The European Whole Type Vehicle Approved i-MiEV has been engineered to achieve a target Euro NCAP crash test rating of 4-stars and illustrates that customers do not need to compromise in any area.
The days of the 'milk float' mentality are truly over as the following specification proves.
* Zero CO2 tailpipe emissions
* Top speed 81 mph
* Range 80 miles (EU combined mode, estimated)
* Seating capacity – 4 adults, plus luggage
* 12-months / 12,500 miles service intervals
* 3-year warranty and pan-European accident and breakdown cover
* Kerb weight – 1,105 KG
* Dimensions – 3,475 (l) x 1,475 (w) x 1,610 (h)
* 47kW AC permanent magnet synchronous motor (max power)
* 1-speed fixed gear
* Front McPherson strut and coil spring suspension
* Rear 3-link de Dion suspension
* Front stabilizer bars
* Front 14" ventilated disc brakes
* Rear 8" drum brakes
* 9" master vac brake boosters
* ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) with EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution)
* Brake assist
* ASC (Active Stability Control)
* Alloy wheels
* All-round 'green' glass
* Colour-keyed front bumper
* Projector type halogen headlamps with levelling device
* Variable intermittent windshield wiper and washers
* Black foldable and electronically controlled door mirrors
* Rear combi LED lamps with clear glass
* Colour-keyed rear bumper with rear fog lamp
* Roof Spoiler with High-mount stop lamp
* Tailgate intermittent wiper and washer
* All-round electric windows
* Central door locking with keyless entry
* Driver's and front passenger's SRS front airbags
* Side and curtain air bags
* 3-spoke leather wrapped steering wheel
* Leather wrapped shift knob
* Headlamp levelling device
* Odo and Twin trip and Rest driving range meter
* EV system check warning indicator
* Activation complete buzzer and indicator
* Batteryremaining indicator
* Dusk sensor
* Glove box with card holder
* Instrument panel secret box (above glove box)
* Front cup holders (floor console, front of the passenger)
* Electrical manual air conditioner with deodorant filter
* Front 2 speakers and Front 2 tweeters
* Seat belt warning (driver, front passenger)
* Front passenger air bag cut off switch
* ASC on/off switch
* Brakeforce regeneration
* Lightweight electronic power steering
* On-board recharging system with cable (flat-to-full in 6-hours, 240V 13 A input)
* On-board rapid charging system (flat-to-80 in 30 minutes)
* Energy-saving drive mode (reduces output to 18kW)