The Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG now has an order form and a price. While it's not cheap, it's nowhere near the most expensive car in the range: for €177,310 ($265,531 U.S. – note: that is a straight conversion, not an indication of the car's U.S. cost), you can put one of the gullwinged wonders in your – probably climate-controlled – garage.
That fits well in between the prices for the SL63 AMG at €148,155 and the SL65 AMG at a blistering €224,672. You get four more cylinders, 40 more hp and a folding hartop on the SL65; yet the SLS gets you gullwing doors, retro styling and €47,000 left over in your pocket. And you're still cooler than the folks in a Mercedes-McLaren SLR, who spent €450,000 when it was new.
What the SLS AMG purchase price won't get you is expedited delivery: the car still won't arrive until Spring of 2010. If you're one of those who needs to keep up, some gent named Matthew K. has been designated "the SLS AMG reporter" and he'll be posting all manner of info and clips online. You can read about it in the press release after the jump, check the car out again in the gallery of high-res photos below, or call your Luxembourger account manager in three, two, one...
Photos copyright ©2009 Chris Paukert / Weblogs, Inc.
The new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, the absolute highlight at this year's International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt, is now available to order. From Monday, 16 November 2009, company-owned sales and service outlets and sales partners of the Mercedes-Benz brand in Germany will be taking orders for this super car with its characteristic gullwing doors. The sales price is 177,310 euros (including 19 % VAT).
"Following a high-profile world premiere at the IAA, we are very excited about the SLS AMG's commercial release on Monday. There is huge interest in our new super sports car and we are convinced that the SLS AMG will captivate our
customers," says Volker Mornhinweg, Chairman of the Management Board at Mercedes-AMG GmbH.
As of the commercial release on 16 November 2009, prospective buyers will be able to obtain high-quality informational material which provides details of the paint finishes, leather colours, standard equipment and optional extras available for the SLS AMG. It will also be possible to configure your dream vehicle online at www.mercedes-amg.com and www.mercedes-benz.com. To bridge the time until the market launch in spring 2010, it is worth watching the web specials at www.mercedes-benz.com/sls-amg or www.mercedes-amg.com/#/sls . These offer a comprehensive insight into all the top features of the SLS AMG. Both online magazines cover performance, technology, design and equipment in exciting video material, as well as in words and pictures.
Mercedes-Benz and AMG active on online platforms
Mercedes-Benz and AMG are exploring new ways of communicating withcustomers on social media platforms: at www.sls-amg-reporter.com fans of AMG will find short video clips and articles by Matthew K., the SLS AMG reporter. This 36‑year old car enthusiast is following the market launch of the SLS AMG and provides information about various events worldwide at which the Gullwing model is presented to the public. Matthew K. is also active at http://twitter.com/sls_amg , reporting live on his travels with the SLS AMG, as well as about his experiences and thoughts on the super sports car. Up-to-date information about the SLS AMG is also available from www.facebook.com/MercedesBenz – fans can communicate with other users and even upload their own photos and videos that express their passion for Mercedes-Benz.
A new legend delivering exceptional performance
The new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG dazzles with its purist design, intelligent lightweight construction and superior handling dynamics, and is bound to cause a sensation in the super sports car segment. The new SLS AMG is nothing short of a masterpiece by Mercedes-AMG GmbH. As its first completely independently developed vehicle, the super sports car is the highlight in the company's more than 40-year history.‑It not only takes AMG, the performance brand within Mercedes-Benz Cars, into a new era, but also demonstrates development expertise of the very highest order.
The SLS AMG's unrivalled technology package is an alluring proposition: aluminium spaceframe body with gullwing doors, AMG 6.3-litre V8 front-mid-engine developing 420 kW/571 hp peak output, 650 Nm of torque and dry sump lubrication, seven-speed double-declutch transmission in a transaxle configuration, sports suspension with aluminium double wishbones and a kerb weight of 1620 kilograms based on the DIN standard – this superlative combination guarantees driving dynamics of the highest order. The front/rear weight distribution of 47 to 53 percent and the vehicle's low centre of gravity are testimony to the uncompromising sports car concept. The 'Gullwing' accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.8 seconds, before going on to a top speed of 317 km/h (electronically limited). Fuel consumption of 13.2 litres per 100 kilometres (combined) makes it one of the best among its competitors.
The SLS AMG sells at 149,000 euros net and 177,310 euros gross (including 19% VAT). Thanks to a diverse range of optional extras, the Gullwing model can be enhanced to suit any personal taste.
Some of the main options include:
* AMG ceramic composite high-performance braking system: €9500 net/ €11,305 gross
* AMG performance suspension with a stiffer setup for optimum lateral dynamics: €1200 net/€1428 gross
* AMG light-alloy wheels in a 5-twin-spoke design, size 9.5 x 19 inches (front) and 11.0 x 20 inches (rear), tyre sizes 265/35 R 19 (front) and 295/30 R 20 (rear): €950 net/€1130.50 gross
* AMG forged wheels in a 10-spoke design, size 9.5 x 19 inches (front) and 11.0 x 20 inches (rear), with tyre size 265/35 R 19 (front) and 295/30 R 20 (rear): €2000 net/€2380 gross
* AMG performance steering wheel in leather/Alcantara: €400 net/€476 gross
* AMG sports bucket seats: €3300 net/€3927 gross
* AMG carbon-fibre engine compartment cover: €4000 net/€4760 gross
* "AMG alubeam silver" paint finish: €10,000 net/€11,900 gross
* "AMG monza grey magno" paint finish: €3250 net/€3867.50 gross
* AMG carbon-fibre trim (front stowage tray and rear stowage compartment including lid, AMG DRIVE UNIT surround, surrounds for the centre console, shiftgate and rear, trim strips for centre console and door armrests): €3500 net/€4165 gross
* AMG interior carbon package (carbon-fibre trim, trim on seat backrests and sides, door sill panels): €3500 net/€4165 gross
* Leather nappa exclusive single-/two-tone: €2500 net/€2975 gross
* Memory package with electric seat and steering column adjustment, as well as four-way lumbar support: €1225 net/€1457.75 gross
* 6-disc DVD changer: €660 net/€785.40 gross
* Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG surround sound system: €5900 net/ €7021 gross