Corsa Ginetta-Zytek 09HS prototype - click above for image gallery
This weekend's American Le Mans Series race at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut was an important one for the series that promotes itself as the leader in "Green Racing." The Corsa Motorsports team debuted its Ginetta-Zytek 09HS hybrid LMP1 car at the last race in Utah before Le Mans. However, because the car had been running for just a few days, they only used the hybrid system in practice. Once the race started, it was switched off. Now that the team has had more time with the car, they opted to run with the system fully enabled at Lime Rock.
It seems to have been a good decision, as the Ginetta-Zytek finished third overall trailing only the Acura ARX-02a cars of the de Ferran and Highcroft teams. The Corsa car was seven laps down on the Acuras but it was five laps ahead of the next car, the Dyson racing Lola-Mazda.
In the Michelin Green X Challenge part of the competition, the de Ferran Acura came away the winner among the prototypes for the third consecutive time. Although detailed Green Challenge results aren't posted yet, ALMS spokesman Bob Dickinson tells ABG that the hybrid only came in 6th in the green challenge, indicating that the team still has a lot of optimization work to do.
[Source: American Le Mans Series]
American Le Mans Northeast Grand Prix
Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, Conn.
1. (1) Gil de Ferran, Brazil; Simon Pagenaud, France; Acura ARX-02a (1, P1), 184.
2. (2) Scott Sharp, Jupiter, FL; David Brabham, Australia; Acura ARX-02a (2, P1), 184.
3. (6) Johnny Mowlem, England; Stefan Johansson, Sweden; Ginetta-Zytek 09HS (3, P1), 177.
4. (4) Marino Franchitti, Scotland; Butch Leitzinger, State College, PA; Lola B09 86 Mazda (1, P2), 172.
5. (10) Patrick Long, Oak Park, CA; Jörg Bergmeister, Germany; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (1, GT2), 167.
6. (8) Chris McMurry, Phoenix, AZ; Tony Burgess, Canada; Lola B06/10 AER (4, P1), 166.
7. (3) Luis Diaz, Mexico; Adrian Fernandez, Mexico; Acura ARX-01B (2, P2), 166.
8. (9) Pierre Kaffer, Germany; Jaime Melo, Brazil; Ferrari F430 GT (2, GT2), 166.
9. (12) Bill Auberlen, Hermosa Beach, CA; Joey Hand, Sacramento, CA; BMW E92 M3 (3, GT2), 166.
10. (11) Bryce Miller, Hoboken, NJ; Wolf Henzler, Germany; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (4, GT2), 165.
11. (15) Johannes Stuck, Austria; Richard Westbrook, England; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (5, GT2), 163.
12. (16) Ian James, England; Dominik Farnbacher, Germany; Tom Sutherland, Los Gatos, CA; Panoz Esperante GTLM Ford (6, GT2), 163.
13. (18) Seth Neiman, Burlingame, CA; Johannes van Overbeek, San Francisco, CA; Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (7, GT2), 159.
14. (17) Joel Feinberg, Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Chris Hall, Daytona, FL; Dodge Viper Comp Coupe (8, GT2), 158.
15. (23) Adam Pecorari, Aston, PA; Gunnar Van der Steur, Chesapeake City, MD; Radical SR9 AER (3, P2), 157.
16. (14) David Murry, Cumming, GA; David Robertson, Ray, MI; Andrea Robertson, Ray, MI; Doran Ford GT MK 7 (9, GT2), 153.
17. (19) Wesley Hoagland, Tustin, CA; Bob Faieta, Tujunga, CA; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (1, C), 149.
18. (21) Ed Brown, Las Vegas, NV; Bill Sweedler, Westport, CT; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (2, C), 146.
19. (22) Donald Pickering, Reno, NV; Nick Parker, Seattle, WA; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (3, C), 144.
20. (20) Melanie Snow, Pleasant Grove, UT; Martin Snow, Pleasant Grove, UT; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (4, C), 142.
21. (13) Tommy Milner, Leesburg, VA; Dirk Müller, Germany; BMW E92 M3 (10, GT2), 142.
22. (7) Clint Field, Dublin, OH; Chapman Ducote, Miami, FL; Jon Field, Dublin, OH; Lola B06/10 AER (5, P1), 139, Drivetrain.
23. (5) Chris Dyson, Pleasant Valley, NY; Guy Smith, England; Lola B09 86 Mazda (4, P2), 63, Electrical.
24. (24) Guy Cosmo, Long Island, NY; John Baker, New York, NY; Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (5, C), 52, Mechanical.