Click the A3 TDI for a high res gallery
With the Q7 TDI showing up at US Audi dealerships in the next few weeks, Audi has revealed the next step in its North American diesel onslaught. The A3 TDI has been rumored to come to America since last fall's Audi Mileage Marathon, and now we know this is indeed happening. The A3 is based on the same platform as the VW Golf and Jetta and will be using the same 2.0L four cylinder diesel as the recently-introduced Jetta. That means it gets 140 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque and real world mileage should be in the neighborhood of 40 mpg. During the marathon, the A3s were regularly topping 50 mpg. Want to test one out yourself? You can, once the A3 TDI arrives stateside late this year.
Photos Copyright ©2009 Sam Abuelsamid / Weblogs, Inc.
2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel: Quick Reference: USA Data
INFO IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Key Summary Points
• The freshened Audi A3 launched in September 2008 (2009 MY).
• The 2009 model year freshening expanded the A3 lineup with quattro all-wheel drive on the efficient 2.0 TFSI engine (200 hp / 207 lb-ft torque).
• Audi A3 moves into a market space presently unoccupied in the luxury segment, that of a highly efficient diesel small luxury car.
• Audi's TDI clean diesel technology expands the A3 lineup in the direction of efficiency, providing over 40 mpg highway.
• A3 holds a unique position in the Audi family, targeting buyers who need a small but versatile package without sacrificing luxury and sportiness.
• A3 2.0 TDI is Audi's second U.S. TDI clean diesel announcement. Audi Q7 TDI is expected to be on sale at U.S. dealers around April 2009.
• A3 is already rated a "Top Safety Pick" by the IIHS for top frontal/side/rear crashes (source iihs.org).
• Key competitors are BMW 1-series, Mini Cooper S, Volvo C30 and S40, and now Toyota Prius and Honda Insight.
• Audi signature LED daytime running lights with optional xenon lights.
• Unique tail lights with LED light guides
• Enhanced exterior and interior design, new wheel program.
• Versatile interior design, providing unmatched utility for urban environments.
• Sporty McPherson front suspension and multilink independent rear suspension for high lateral rigidity.
• Speed-sensitive electromechanical power steering
• High rigidity due to the use of tailored blanks for adapting steel grade and thickness to the material stresses.
• 2.0 TDI clean diesel engine with S tronic (dual clutch) and front-wheel drive
o Specifications: 140 hp, 236 lb-ft torque, in-line 4 cylinder turbocharged clean diesel with common rail direct injection and piezoelectric injectors
o 50-state legal, with no after-treatment system required
o Exclusively with S tronic (dual clutch) transmission with front-wheel drive
Standard Equipment Features
• Hill-hold assist (already standard on S tronic models)
• Sirius satellite radio - standard on all
• Leather seating surfaces - standard on all
• Leather steering wheel - standard
• Aux audio input – standard
• Dual-zone climate control
• 17" alloy wheels
Launch Timing and Pricing
• USA Audi A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel goes on sale by the first quarter of 2010 as a 2010 model year vehicle. Pricing is expected to be released close to the time of the U.S. launch.