Cowboys and truck-lovers unite for the Texas State Fair every year around this time. It's where big-time truckmakers often release special editions of their pickups just for the Texas market, again underscoring just how important the Lone Star State is for sales. So it is this year with the 2009 Dodge Ram Lone Star edition. Starting life down the assembly line as a Ram Crew 1500 SLT in either two- or four-wheel drive, various chrome accents, 20-inch wheels (either painted or chromed) and big 4-inch dual exhausts integrated into the rear bumper have been added. Inside, a lighting group is standard equipment along with an up-level leather steering wheel. Lest those following you don't know what or where you're driving, a Lone Star badge is affixed to the tailgate left of the huge Ram-head logo. Very subtle. The good news is that Texans won't be charged an arm and a leg for the Lone Star edition, as it adds just $1,500 to the price of a HEMI-equipped Ram, a big savings over the $3,560 it would cost to replicate otherwise. If all of this is enough to make you want one, and you live in Texas, expect the Lone Star to reach your favorite dealer sometime next month.
Dodge Doesn't Mess With Texas; Introduces All-new 2009 Lone Star Edition Dodge Ram
* 2009 Lone Star Edition Dodge Ram 1500 provides new level of exclusivity with premium exterior and interior treatments
* Available beginning this month in Texas only
* MSRP for the Lone Star package is $2,810, which includes special equipment and 5.7-liter HEMI® engine
Dallas, Sep 25, 2008 - At the State Fair of Texas today, Dodge will introduce the all-new 2009 Lone Star Edition Dodge Ram 1500, a Texas-exclusive model in the 2009 Dodge Ram lineup. The new truck arrives this month with a truck-load of special equipment and enhancements.
"Texas is the single largest truck market on the planet for Dodge," said Mike Accavitti, Director – Dodge Division, Chrysler LLC. "Texans love their trucks, and Dodge gives them more to love with a special edition of our game-changing 2009 Dodge Ram – already the best pickup available anywhere. With the Dodge Ram Lone Star, Texans get style, performance, utility and even more value."
The all-new 2009 Lone Star Edition Dodge Ram begins as a Ram Crew 1500 SLT model in either two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive, with more than 35 new or improved features when compared to the previous light-duty Dodge Ram. These features include:
* Dodge Ram's first-ever crew-cab size model
* First-in-segment coil-spring, five-link rear suspension fitted to a solid rear axle provides the required towing and payload capability, with ride and handling unexpected in a pickup truck
* New 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 provides more horsepower (390 hp) and torque (407 lb.-ft.), with increased fuel economy (20 mpg on the 4x2 model)
* Best-in-class aerodynamics – under .40 Cd – help improve fuel economy and performance
* First-in-segment, RamBox™ cargo management system that includes versatile, weatherproof, lockable, illuminated, drainable storage bins; pickup bed dividers; 2-foot bed extender; and cargo rail system with sliding, adjustable cleats
* First-in-segment, factory-installed 4-inch dual exhaust styled dramatically into the rear bumper
* First-in-segment store-in-the-floor bins
* Nearly twice as many storage bins (42) than the previous model (26)
* Standard front and rear side-curtain air bags, four-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
* Significantly upgraded interiors
The all-new 2009 Lone Star Edition package includes the new 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 mated to a five-speed automatic transmission, chromed 4-inch dual exhaust radiused into the rear bumper, 20-inch painted silver wheels (20-inch chromed wheels are available), chromed grille surround with chromed billets, quad headlamps and fog lamps. In addition, a lighting group includes leather-wrapped steering wheel with integrated audio controls, signal- and puddle-lamp exterior mirrors, interior mirror with auto-dim feature, overhead console, illuminated visor vanity, ash-tray lamp, lighted glove box, and underhood and dome lamps. Topping off the package is unique Lone Star badging on the tailgate.
MSRP for the Lone Star equipment is $1,500. All 2009 Lone Star Edition Dodge Rams must also be equipped with the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8. This $1,310 option, added to the $1,500 equipment price, brings the total price of the Lone Star package to $2,810. (If the package components were priced individually, the value would be $3,560.)
The all-new 2009 Lone Star Edition Dodge Ram is built at the St. Louis North Assembly Plant in Fenton, Mo., and the Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Warren, Mich.
With a U.S. market share of 6.2 percent, Dodge is Chrysler LLC's best-selling brand and the sixth largest nameplate in the U.S. automotive market. In 2007, Dodge sold more than 1.3 million vehicles in the global market.
The Dodge brand's first crossover vehicle - the all-new 2009 Dodge Journey - arrived in dealer showrooms in the first quarter of this year, and is now available outside North America in petrol and diesel powertrains in both left- and right-hand drive. The limited-edition 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with a 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine that boasts 425 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque started hitting the streets this past spring. Later in 2008, Dodge will add three more vehicles to its product lineup – the all-new 2009 Dodge Ram with game-changing exterior and interior design, innovations, best-in-class features and craftsmanship; the all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger, a modern interpretation of the American muscle car; and the 2009 Dodge Durango HEMI Hybrid, a hybrid electric vehicle that combines fuel-efficient advance hybrid technology with full-size SUV performance and capability.
Last fall, America's best-selling minivan, the all-new 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan, was introduced with 35 new or improved features including the newest innovation, the Swivel 'n Go™ seating system. In 2007, Dodge sold 33,500 commercial vehicles, a 285 percent increase over 2003 when the company returned to the commercial vehicle market and is now the sixth largest manufacturer of commercial vehicles sold in the U.S. Also in 2007, the Dodge Avenger and Nitro entered key volume segments outside North America, joining the Dodge Caliber, the highest sales volume vehicle for the company outside of North America.