Lexus plans on unveiling two concepts at the Tokyo Motor Show later this month, and while one of them is the LF-A that we've seen before, the other may foretell the future of the next RX-series crossover.
Naturally, Lexus is touting the L-finesse design theme with the LF-Xh, but first impressions aren't particularly pleasing. It's somewhat blocky, and although the lines are clean, it strikes us as a bit too derivative to change the game in any substantive way.
The "h" designation affixed to the nameplate indicates that Lexus will be employing its Hybrid Drive system, which mates a gasoline-powered V6 to a high-output electric motor that then sends power to all four wheels.
Lexus' press release on both vehicles is posted after the jump.
Lexus to Display LF-Xh and LF-A at Tokyo Motor Show
Tokyo, October 10, 2007 - Lexus announced today that it plans to display two concept vehicles and six production vehicles at the 40th Tokyo Motor Show. The show will be open to the general public from October 27 to November 11 at the International Convention Complex (Makuhari Messe) in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture.
On the basis of its "pursuit of perfection" philosophy, Lexus strives to provide the highest-quality products and to fill every moment with exhilaration and comfort for its customers through continued, uncompromising efforts in all aspects of development, production and sales. At the Tokyo Motor Show, as a new global premium brand for the 21st century, Lexus plans to exhibit a specialty SUV and a premium two-seater sports car.
Further details of the Lexus display are below.
I. Concept Vehicles
LF-Xh (Global unveiling)
A specialty SUV based on the Lexus design philosophy of L-finesse and equipped with an advanced hybrid system
* The combination of a powerful body and elegant interior gives this next-generation SUV a dynamic look and feel.
* Application of "Lexus Hybrid Drive", which features a sophisticated fusion of superior environmental and power performance, seeks to achieve outstanding driving performance, quiet operation, high fuel efficiency and low emissions.
* All-wheel drive is backed by a V6 gasoline engine and high-output electric motor hybrid system.
Total length: 4,800mm
Total width: 1,895mm
Total height: 1,650mm
A premium two-seater sports car that represents the impressive Lexus driving performance
* Manifestation of the Lexus "F" premium sports car concept, which offers new Lexus performance through the combination of enhanced fundamental performance and cutting-edge driving technology, pursues the pinnacle of sports car performance.
* Use of L-finesse design creates an elegant and a solid presence.
* A high-performance V10 engine (up to 5.0 liters) and a body made of light yet sturdy carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) combine to provide unprecedented driving performance.
Total length: 4,460mm
Total width: 1,895mm
Total height: 1,220mm
II. Production Vehicles
* IS F
* Other vehicles displayed will include the LS460 and the GS450h.