Whatever goodwill GM is trying to build up in the environmental community with the Chevy Volt should be flying out of the window right ... about ... now. It's not like greenies feel good about the Hummer in the first place, but for GM to promote the launch of the first right-hand drive model in the UK (an H3) by suggesting it's a toy, a 15 mpg toy, well, that's just silly. I'm surprised Geoffrey has managed to keep his smile.
GM press release after the jump.
THE. HUMMER. IS. HERE.
Footballers, music moguls and city boys are dusting off their wallets as the first UK version of the world's most iconic boy's toy – HUMMER – goes on sale today.
Originally designed for the U.S. Army nearly 30 years ago the High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV, pronounced Humvee), also known as HUMMER, is the ultimate go anywhere vehicle. And now it has finally travelled across the pond from the States to the UK with the launch of a right-hand drive version of the HUMMER H3. Smaller and more agile than the larger H1 and H2 models, the H3 is the perfect HUMMER for the UK, on and off the road.
To mark its arrival on British soil, HUMMER delivered the first right-hand drive vehicle off the shelf to a London toyshop in its own heavy duty toy box, which took three weeks to make and stands four metres high and six metres wide.
Jonathan Nash from HUMMER comments:
"HUMMER is like no other – it's the ultimate workhorse, but also the ultimate boy's toy so what better way to deliver it to the UK but in its own heavy duty toy box. The H3 is a car built for action and has a unique, iconic style that will travel across the Atlantic and appeal to UK drivers. With lots of pre-orders already placed we expect the H3 to be a huge success in the UK."
Celebrity HUMMER fans and owners include:
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California and 1st civilian HUMMER owner
- Wayne Rooney, Footballer
- David Beckham, Footballer & Model
- Shaquille O'Neal, Basketballer & Model
- Wyclef Jean, Musician
- Ronaldinho, Footballer
- Hugh Heffner, Playboy founder
- Paris Hilton, Socialite
- Dennis Rodman, Basketballer & Model
- 1979 - AM General began preliminary design work on the M998 Series High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV - pronounced Humvee)
- 1983 - AM General won an initial $1.2 billion contract to produce 55,000 Humvees for the US Army
- 1985 - AM General rolled the first Humvee (aka. HUMMER), a standard Military vehicle, off the assembly line
- 1989 - The U.S. Army awarded AM General a new multiyear contract for continued production of more then 33,000 Humvees
- 1992 - AM General began production of versions of the Humvee, called the HUMMER, for civilian use
- 2002 - AM General began assembling the HUMMER H2, a new 'next generation' sport utility vehicle designed by GM
- 2005 - General Motors rolled out the 2006 HUMMER H3 midsized SUV
- 2007 - UK launch of the first right-hand drive HUMMER H3