Audi of America yesterday released details of its full lineup of 2008 models, along with the changes that will accompany them. The details include the fact that the A4 and A6 series will get the S-Line treatment as standard. There are also two new packages, Titanium and Audi Exclusive, with which to deck out the cars. Click through the jump to read the press release, which also recaps (but doesn't have much new to say) on the 300 S4 Cabriolets that will come to the US, and the S5.
AUDI ANNOUNCES 2008 MODEL YEAR MODEL LINE-UP
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Audi of America, Inc. today announced its entire 2008 model line-up. New for 2008 are the TT Coupe and Roadster, the R8 mid-engine sports car, the limited-production RS 4 Cabriolet, and the A5 and S5 coupes. These six models join the already sporty, sophisticated, and progressive line-up of Audi models, which also receive enhancements for 2008.
Audi has established simplified option packages for the current line-up to ease customer ordering, as well as a standard tire pressure monitoring system in every model. As always, Audi anticipates trends in the industry, and enhances vehicles and packaging to match customer tastes.
New 2008 Models
Audi introduces some very exciting models for 2008. The all-new TT Coupe and Roadster arrived at dealerships in April. The new TT models feature the latest generation of Audi Space Frame (ASF®) that combines aluminum and steel for reduced weight and improved weight distribution. Both Coupe and Roadster models are available with a 200 hp 2.0T FSI engine or a 250 hp 3.2L V6 engine. All V6 models come standard with quattro® all-wheel drive.
September 2007 will mark the U.S. debut of one of the most exclusive sports cars in the world, the R8. Audi's first-ever mid-engine sports car was named after the legendary race car that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans five times earlier this decade. The all-aluminum R8 has a 420 hp engine available with either a six-speed manual or R tronic sequential automatic gearbox, with sprints from 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds. The R8's well-balanced aluminum architecture and mid-engine layout give the R8 handling capabilities unlike any vehicle Audi has ever developed.
Another exciting addition to 2008 will be the RS 4 Cabriolet. Arriving in Fall 2007, the RS 4 Cabriolet shares the same high-revving 4.2 V8 FSI engine found in the RS 4 sedan. It produces 420 hp at 7,800 rpm and comes with a six-speed manual and quattro all-wheel drive, 19" RS 4-style alloy wheels with performance tires, and four-link front and trapezoidal-link rear sport-tuned suspension with Dynamic Ride Control (DRC).
Approximately 300 RS 4 Cabriolets will be sold in the U.S.
Later in the fall, the 2008 S5 will make its debut. The S5 is the first new two-door coupe from Audi in the U.S. since 1991. While developing the S5, engineers moved the powertrain closer to the center of the vehicle. This set-up allows for better handling balance and more room for creativity for the designers. Former Audi Head of Design Walter de Silva called the S5 the "...most beautiful design I've ever created." The S5 will have a 354 hp 4.2 FSI V8 engine, and can run from 0-62 mph in 5.1 seconds. The 2008 A5, with a 265 hp 3.2 FSI V6 engine, will arrive shortly after in early 2008.
2008 Model Year Line-Up
Changes have also been made to the existing line-up for 2008. Listed below are the significant changes to each model, as well as highlights for the all-new models for 2008.
2008 A3 Changes
The A3 model line enters 2008 largely unchanged. There are new wheel options as well as a new Titanium Package. Manual rear side sunshades become available, as does factory-installed iPod® integration. SIRIUS® satellite radio and an auto-dimming interior mirror with compass become standard on A3 3.2 models.
A3 Titanium Package breakdown:
- 18" Titanium-color RS 4-style alloy wheels
- Black front grille
- Black interior headliner
- Piano black interior trim
2008 A4/S4 Sedan/Avant and 2008 RS 4 Changes
The 2008 A4 sedan and Avant models get some significant exterior changes. The S line package now becomes standard for the exterior. This includes revised front and rear bumpers, lower side door trim, integrated trunk lid spoiler, front grille, and S line badging. Other important changes to the A4 are:
- Optional factory iPod integration
- SIRIUS satellite radio standard on S/RS models
- S line interior package consisting of a sport three-spoke steering wheel, aluminum trim, and special interior stitching, and 18" alloy wheels
- Standard Bluetooth® on S4 models
- New RS 4-style 18" alloy wheels offered on S4
Two new option packages from Audi's performance subsidiary quattro GmbH are available for the 2008 RS 4, the Titanium package and the Audi exclusive package. The Titanium package offers the same treatment at the A4 Titanium package with:
- Titanium colored 19" alloy wheels
- Black front grille
- Black exhaust tips
- Black side window moldings
- Black interior headliner
- Piano black interior trim
- Floor mats with contrasting red piping and "RS 4" logo
The Audi exclusive package ads a very distinctive interior treatment to the RS 4. The package consists of:
- Red leather seat centers (black leather side bolsters and head rests) and door trim
- Contrasting red seat piping
- Red stitching on shift boot, hand brake, seats, and steering wheel
- Piano black interior trim
- Audi exclusive badging
2008 A4/S4 Cabriolet Changes and New RS 4 Cabriolet Highlights
The A4 and S4 Cabriolets remain largely unchanged. A factory iPod interface is now available and heated front seats are now standard on A4 3.2 and S4 Cabriolet models. SIRIUS satellite radio is now standard on S/RS models.
2008 RS 4 Cabriolet highlights include:
- 420hp 4.2L V8 FSI engine
- Six-speed manual and rear-biased quattro all-wheel drive
- Dynamic Ride Control (DRC)
- 19" alloy wheels with performance tires
- Fully automatic Acoustic convertible top
- Leather covered RS 4 embossed sport seats, power operated
- Aluminum front body panels and widened fenders
- 14.4" front and 12.8" rear brake rotors
All-new 2008 A5 and S5 Coupe Highlights
The third new model line for 2008 is the A5 and S5 coupes. These models are the first four-seat coupes in Audi's line-up in the U.S. since 1991. The A5 is powered by a 3.2 V6 FSI engine making 265 hp. The S5 is equipped with a 354 hp 4.2 V8 FSI engine. Both models have standard quattro all-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission. A six-speed Tiptronic automatic gearbox is optional on both models. These coupes solidify Audi's performance portfolio, and contribute to 2008 as the "Year of Emotion" for Audi. A5 and S5 highlights include:
- A5: 265 hp 3.2 V6 FSI
- S5: 354 hp 4.2 V8 FSI
- Six-speed manual or optional six-speed Tiptronic®
- Asymmetrical dynamic quattro all-wheel drive
- New chassis architecture that moves the engine closer to the center of the vehicle. Benefits include a shorter front overhand and optimized axle load distribution for more dynamic handling characteristics.
- Al-new five-link front suspension design resulting in excellent ride comfort and directional stability
- LED daytime running lights (on models with Bi-Xenon headlights) and tail lights
- New Advanced key keyless entry system that stores vehicle data
- Optional 505 watt 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen® audio system
2008 A6 Sedan and Avant/S6 Sedan Changes
Like the A4 sedan and Avant models for 2008, the A6 models will receive the S line exterior treatment as standard equipment, including 18" alloy wheels and rear integrated spoiler from the S6. Additional standard equipment for 2008 consists of headlight washers, SIRIUS satellite radio, and seat-back storage pockets.
New options include:
- Audi navigation system with DVD as a stand alone option (still part of Technology package on S6)
- Audi lane assist
- New 19" alloy wheels (design from RS 4) on A6
- New chrome finish 18" wheel
- S line interior package consisting of front sport seats with S line embossed logo, new Milano leather upholstery, Birch Gray decorative inlays, three-spoke sport steering wheel with shift paddles, black headliner, aluminum door sills (A6 only)
2008 Audi Q7 Changes
In its second year, the Audi Q7 3.6, 3.6 Premium, and 4.2 Premium models compose the 2008 line-up. The options programs have been simplified and changes have been made to the standard equipment. SIRIUS satellite radio is now standard on 3.6 Premium and 4.2 Premium models. Some new standard equipment highlights include:
- Leather seating surfaces with power front seats
- Six-disc in-dash CD changer
- Aluminum decorative inlays
- Power tailgate
- Third-row seating
- Audi music interface
- Audi parking system advanced with rearview camera
- Four-zone automatic climate control
- Audi navigation system with DVD
- Advanced key
- 20" alloy wheels
The wheel program has also been revised. All 3.6 and 3.6 Premium models now come with 18" twin-spoke alloy wheels. The 4.2 Premium models now come standard with 20" twin-spoke wheels. Optional 19", 20", and 21" alloy wheels are still available on all Premium models.
2008 A8 and S8 Changes
Model production for the 2008 A8 and S8 begins later in the year than the rest of the model line-up, so changes are not yet finalized at this time. Please refer to the Audi of America press website for the latest information on the A8 and S8 models. www.media.audiusa.com
All-new 2008 TT Coupe and Roadster Highlights
The TT models are all-new for 2008. Both models are available with a 200 hp 2.0T FSI engine mated to a six-speed S tronic double-clutch automatic gearbox, or a 250 hp 3.2L V6 engine with quattro all-wheel drive and a six-speed manual. A six-speed S tronic gearbox is optional on 3.2 models. TT highlights include:
- Third-generation Audi Space Frame (ASF) technology combining aluminum and steel in the chassis, helps reduce weight and improve weight distribution, allowing for more dynamic handling.
- 2008 models are 5 in. longer, and 3 in. wider than previous model, allowing for a more aggressive stance and improved interior space.
- Coupe 0-60 mph: 2.0T – 6.1 sec., 3.2 manual – 5.5 sec., 3.2 S tronic 5.3 sec.
- Roadster 0-60 mph: 2.0T - 6.3 sec., 3.2 manual – 5.7 sec., 3.2 S tronic – 5.5 sec.
- Optional Audi magnetic ride control
- Automatic climate control
- Alcantara or optional Nappa leather seating. Baseball optic leather available on 3.2 Roadster models.
- Flat-bottom sport steering wheel
- Fold-down rear seats (Coupe) able to accommodate two bags of golf clubs
- Optional enhanced interior package for Roadster featuring pass-through ski sack and storage bins behind front seats
- Power retractable wind blocker on Roadster
- S line package consisting of 19" alloy wheels, revised bumpers, and special interior stitching. Available on Coupe and Roadster
- Optional Audi exclusive package with two-tone leather seating and interior trim
All-new 2008 R8 highlights
Audi's first ever premium mid-engine sports car will appear in the U.S. in early-fall of 2007. Called the R8, it demonstrates everything Audi has learned from years of involvement in motorsports. It's lightweight aluminum chassis, high-revving 420-hp 4.2L V8 FSI engine, race-inspired suspension, quattro all-wheel drive system, and low center of gravity combine to make the R8 handle unlike any Audi before it. The R8 is hand-assembled by quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm, Germany, where only 15 models a day are produced. R8 highlights include:
- 4.2L V8 FSI engine making 420 hp
- 8000 rpm redline
- Rear-biased quattro all-wheel drive
- Six-speed manual with metal shift gate or six-speed R tronic sequential automatic gearbox
- Aluminum construction
- 0-60 mph in 4.4 sec.
- Top speed of 187 mph
- Audi magnetic ride suspension
- 19" alloy wheels and performance tires
- Eight-piston 15.0" front and four-piston 14.0" rear brake rotors
- Automatic climate control
- LED daytime running lights, 3D LED tail light treatment (industry first)
- Flat-bottom multifunction sport steering wheel
- Optional 465 watt, 12-speaker Band & Olufsen sound system
- Optional body color or Carbon Sigma sideblade
- Optional convenience package consisting of a rearview camera and front and rear parking sensors, Bluetooth, hill hold assist, auto dimming exterior mirrors, six-disc CD changer, HomeLink®, and a storage package.
About Audi of America, Inc.
Audi's history in America dates to 1969, when the brand was first introduced to the U.S. market. Today, a network of over 260 Audi dealers currently offers a line of premium vehicles that include the Audi A3 compact; the sporty A4 sedan, Avant and Cabriolet models; the high performance S4 sedan, Avant and Cabriolet models; the high-revving RS 4 sports sedan; the design-leading A6 sedan and Avant; the all-new Audi Q7 performance SUV; the all-aluminum Audi A8; the new V10-powered S6 and S8 performance sedans; and the all-new 2008 TT Coupe and Roadster models.