- The Volt production model will be on sale at the end of the decade.
- The Chevrolet Volt is propelled only by the electric motor, and the ICE is there to recharge the batteries.
- The Volt's top speed is 120mph and it accelerates from 0-60mph in 8.5 seconds.
- After 40 miles of electric power-only movement, the gas engine is starts automatically and then runs at a constant speed as it recharges the batteries.
- GM estimates fuel consumption of 180 mpg equivalent, based on a 60-mile trip with fully charged batteries.
- The Volt will use GM's new E-Flex propulsion system, which can be adapted to use bioethanol fuel and will also be able to handle a diesel engine or a hydrogen fuel cell as the electricity generator.
UPDATE: As promised, here's all the info you could ever want on the Volt, including pictures, specifications, and lots and lots of details.
[Source: The Sunday Times]