Edmunds.com, an automotive information site, has compiled its list of 2006 automotive trends. Among the green trends were:
- Subcompact market sales increased 63 percent compared to 2005 in the wake of petrol prices reaching a national average of $3.03 per gallon for regular self-serve in August 2006.
- Hybrid vehicle market share increased nearly 35 percent compared to last year.
- Sales of crossover vehicles will continue to improve as midsize and large SUV owners seek better fuel economy.
- Hybrid vehicles will continue to gain mainstream interest.
- U.S. acceptance of diesel will expand with the introduction of Mercedes-Benz's new BlueTec diesel technology and the new diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee.