UPDATE 1: Post body has been updated to reflect complete information. GM press release and additional photos (all hires) have also been added.
One of the SEMA project cars mentioned in GM's release last week was a Cadillac's SRX design study prepared with input from women's fashion designer Dana Buchman. A quick perusal of her 2007 collection reveals that the Tribeca denizen's clothing designs are classy and understated, themes that she carries forward in her SRX show car.
Automobile magazine notes that the Buchman SRX was a decent starting point, seeing as it had the new-for-2007 "cut and sew" interior, which is attractive on its own merits. After seeing the Dana Buchman treatment, however, one hopes GM finds a way to justify a run of special editions, as she transforms the passenger cabin into a truly lush, chocolate-themed environment.
She used leather, silk, and suede to elevate the surroundings to a higher level, and it's a feast on the eyes. Brownstone leather covers the seats, dash and upper door panels, while lighter Cashmere-colored hides trim the consoles and lower door panels. The aforementioned silk is what the carpets are made of (not at all practical, but good-looking as applied here). The Cashmere tone reappears in faux suede on the headliner , pillars and sun visors. A snakeskin fabric pattern lines the storage bins and outlines the vanity mirrors. We particularly like the quilted seat pattern, which looks like something you'd find in a Mulliner-enhanced Bentley, and the shiny chrome trim on the center stack surround, steering wheel, and corner vents looks completely appropriate here.
The back seats are custom 40/40 buckets, and their occupants can enjoy refreshments from the custom refrigerated snack/beverage drawer in the rear center console, which also incorporates aluminum-ringed cupholders set in "Cocoa granite" Corian (the countertop material). Though not mentiones specifically in the release, the Corian also appears to adorn the forward center console and dashboard trim as well. Autoblog can be read on-the-go thanks to a KVH mobile internet system with Wi-Fi capability, and Cadillac's SRX theater package provides additional on-road entertainment capabilities.
Outside, the car's DuPont Gold Mist finish dovetails nicely with the brown and tan theme inside. It also sports 20-inchers, an Eibach suspension that drops the car 1.5 inches, Brembo stoppers, and an upgraded cat-back exhaust system by Corsa. Dana Buchman may design women's clothing, but this SRX has a unisex appeal (well, OK ... maybe not the snakeskin linings) . Nice is nice, no matter how you cut it. The Dana Buchman SRX Sport looks to be a serene oasis in the maelstrom of billion-watt stereos, horrifyingly garish bodykits, and highly-inappropriate lambo doors that will join it on the floor at SEMA.
(Press release, Photo gallery after the jump)
[Sources: Automobile magazine, GM]
Click images to enlarge
CADILLAC SRX SPORT BY DANA BUCHMAN
For two decades, Dana Buchman has created clothes for the women who run America 's businesses, communities and families. Now, this vaunted New York fashion house has created the ultimate accessory, the Cadillac SRX Sport by Dana Buchman. Just as Dana Buchman fashions easily cross over from corporate to casual occasions, the midsize Cadillac SRX Sport is a luxury crossover vehicle that's equally at home in the city or on a winding country road. The SRX Sport's exterior is covered with rich DuPont Gold Mist tri-coat paint. Accent pieces received satin finish Gold Mist. Personally supervised by Buchman, this special vehicle adds many stylish, fun and functional details to SRX, extending the colors and details found in her collection of fashions worn by celebrities, executives, politicians and moms alike. The SRX interior uses rich aniline leather seats in a rich Brownstone color. Inserts on the seatbacks and cushions feature a quilted pattern. Light cashmere leather and faux suede cover the console, doors and headliner. The carpets are Hokanson woven silk that is beautiful both to the eye and to the touch. A striking snakeskin print fabric is used inside storage compartments. This special SRX is not just fashion, there is also function The cabin is wi-fi enabled via a KVH wireless broadband system. Car customization is not a boy's club anymore.
- Dana Buchman-inspired interior with laser-etched Dana Buchman logos
- Brownstone aniline grained leather seats with quilted pattern inserts
- Brownstone Meridian grained leather on dash and upper door panels
- Light Cashmere Meridian grained leather on consoles and lower door panels
- Very light Cashmere faux suede headliner and pillars
- Hokanson woven silk carpet throughout passenger and cargo areas
- Custom 40/40 Cadillac rear bucket seats
- Custom rear center console with a refrigerated snack-and-beverage drawer, custom cup holders with polished aluminum rims set in machined Corian Cocoa Granite
- Wi-fi capability via KVH Industries' Tracknet 100 system, providing broadband, high-speed internet with a custom-colored Bluetooth wireless keyboard and headrest-mounted monitors
- Snakeskin print fabric lines all interior storage bins
- Faux suede wrapped sun visors with snakeskin print fabric surrounding the vanity mirror
- Eibach 1.5-inch lowering springs
- Brembo high-performance four-wheel disc brakes
- Highly polished, seven-spoke 20x8-inch alloy wheels
- Goodyear Eagle P255/20R50 tires
- Corsa cat back performance exhaust system with polished stainless exhaust tips
- Dana Buchman script billet door sill plates
- SRX Theater Package with enhanced Bose system and headrest-mounted seven-inch DVD monitors
Carbon fiber engine cover for 3.6L DOHC V-6
Part number: 12499960