According to the report, the explosion of the steel holding tank had been caused by flammable gases leaking from the glycerin and methanol liquid mix within the tank. The gases escaped from a vent area uncapped at the top of the tank. Black, who was to install a vent tube on the area, inadvertently ignited the vapors when he lit his cutting torch. The coroner determined that Black had died instantly in the resulting explosion.
The article does not report how the two other men who had also been injured are faring at this time.