Welburn says he has created a high-level design team, reporting directly to him, with the goal of sharply focusing the design philosophy for each brand.
How are the brand design themes evolving? Here are a few clues:
- Cadillac - a bold statement, with a high level of sophistication, not bland or boring. The new CTS sedan will kick off the evolved Cadillac look.
- Saturn - a European theme tied to the Opel brand
- Buick - very sophisticated for its market segment. A premium American design, refined and well-appointed.
- Pontiac - sporty, youthful and agile design that says "seductive performance"
- GMC trucks - "industrial precision"
- Chevy trucks - a "heavy-duty" signature
- Saab - will get a strong jet aircraft identification
- Chevrolet - includes performance as a key element, but with designs regionalized to suit Chevy's global markets.