Bugatti head Wolfgang Durheimer says the 450th and last Veyron will be at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show. It will mark the end of 10 years of production, 300 coupes, and 150 open-top versions of the engineering coup that redefined how much a supercar could do.
Between Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti, the Volkswagen Group has no lack of prestige marques under its umbrella. And while some of these marques may produce models that compete against each other, each seems to be profitable enough in its own right to justify its existence. But what about Bentley and Bugatti? Surely these marques cater to the same customers, right?
Wolfgang Dürheimer is still in play, with Bentley Motors announcing that he will return to the Chairman and CEO slot of the English company and French division Bugatti on June 1, 2014. He'll probably remember those chairs from the last time he filled them, since he was promoted to both positions in 2010 and remained there until September 2012, when he was installed as the head of R&D at Audi. That job only lasted until June of 2013, his nine-month tenure reported to be full of corporate
Audi could be getting even more diverse with its powertrains for the A6, A8 and Q7, moving beyond offering just gas- and diesel-powered models and adding plug-in hybrid variants of the three luxury vehicles. The report comes from Indian Autos Blog, which spoke to Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg, Audi's research and design chief, who confirmed the PHVs.
We have yet another announcement of yet another new Audi, including yet another obligatory quote from Audi research and development chief Wolfgang Dürheimer that there's room for it in the Audi range. On the sidelines of reports about the diesel-hybrid sports car, derived from the R18 endurance racer, there have been remarks about a possible MPV. Now Auto Express reports that said MPV "is on the way" and will be based on the A3 Sportback.
According to a report by Autocar, all we thought we knew of the in-development Audi supercar we might not actually know. A piece in Car and Driver, not even a month old, said the diesel-hybrid halo car was in the design stages, would get the engine from the R18 E-Tron Quattro and its carbon fiber tub. Now we get word that that while the coupe is indeed being designed, it hasn't yet been signed off and there's no business case for it yet. Said business case, whenever it is built, is also dubious
Wolfgang Dürheimer, Audi's head of research and development, has been dropping all kinds of savory hints about all kinds of impressive vehicles that Audi may or may not build. In that former camp, rumors on the next-generation Audi TT form the next volley fired from the blunderbuss of speculation, with intel from various sources pointing to a return to the wow factor of the original. Fourtitude, which focuses solely on the Ingolstadt brand, has put together a rendering of what the coming TT
Who ever thought we'd hear this said about a sports car: "If we made this a diesel hybrid it could be a hot-seller." Yeah. Never. Nevertheless, that's what Audi R&D chief Wolfgang Durheimer told Auto Express about a his idea for a supercar to sit above the R8 and bang carbon-fiber fenders with the McLaren P1, Ferrari F70 and Porsche 918.
Volkswagen has its XL1, the aero coupe that promises 235 miles per gallon through the use of a two-cylinder TDI diesel, an electric motor with a lithium-ion battery pack, and a seven-speed DCT. Rumored to hit showrooms next year, it will be sold in limited markets and in limited numbers. Over the corporate fence, Autocar reports that Audi is also working on a 1.0-liter car, but theirs looks to have a very different brief.
Before Wolfgang Dürheimer moves to Audi, he's still got a few jobs to finish as head of Bentley and Bugatti, one of them being to oversee the development of the 16C Galibier. It was back in 2009 that the two-tone concept had audiences agog, and rumors and leaks since then have had everyone wondering if the four-seat fastback will ever become reality. To hit 'rewind' on the rumormill, the Galibier was initially greenlit in early 2011 and tipped to go into production this year, a timeframe th
The Bentley 6.75-liter V8 engine dates all the way back to the 1960s where it originated from Rolls-Royce, but it would appear this powerful engine's days are numbered. Car and Driver recently had the chance to talk to Wolfgang Dürheimer, Bugatti and Bentley CEO, who discussed the future of the Bentley brand ahead of his imminent departure to Audi. He confirmed that the Volkswagen-owned ultra-luxury brand will be phasing out this engine in favor of more efficient diesels and plug-in hybrid
Running a high-end automobile manufacturer like Bentley or Bugatti has got to be a dream job for most any business executive. And Wolfgang Dürheimer gets to run them both – but not for much longer, according to the latest reports coming in from trade publication Automotive News Europe.
Volkwagen has made it clear that the automaker has no plans to dive into NASCAR, but that doesn't mean that the company is turning its back on American motorsports altogether. According to TheDetroitBureau.com, Wolfgang Durheimer, head of Volkwagen Group motorsports, says his company is currently investigating a number of U.S. competition venues, including the American Le Mans Series and Grand Am, as well as Indy Car and the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. As you may recall, Audi took to Pi
In 2001, Bentley returned to Le Mans after an absence of more than 70 years with a machine known as the Speed 8 (pictured above), eventually winning the 24-hour race in 2003. Bentley hasn't been involved in motorsports since, although a new report indicates that could change soon.
Bugatti builds truly outrageous automobiles that stretch our perceptions of performance and personal wealth. The Veyron currently serves as the automaker's only ambassador into the world of high-speed and exotic engineering. Bugatti executives are looking to add a second steed to the stable, and we believe the Galibier sedan would make a good fit. It seems, however, that Bugatti CEO Wolfgang Durheimer doesn't think it's ready. Why not? It's not wild enough.
Sometimes, things just don't change. For example, the CEO of Bentley, Wolfgang Durheimer, has confirmed that the company will continue to offer 12-cylinder engines; so much so that they, "become one of the cornerstones" of Bentley. This should ease fears that the upcoming turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 would make extinct Bentley's infamous W12.
The crew at Motor Trend recently took the time to sit down with Wolfgang Durheimer, president and CEO of Bentley, for a chat about what we can expect to see from the ultra-luxury manufacturer in the near future. As we've heard, plans are already in the works for a Bentley SUV. Why sully the brand with a high-rider? As it turns out, carmakers need to make money, and while Bentley currently boasts two new models, the whole SUV/crossover thing is an excuse to mint money. To combat aging, Durheimer
Rumors of a Bentley SUV have been swirling for years. We reported on the possibility of a Crewe-built sport utility vehicle all the way back in 2007, and the same story seems to pop up every other year. This year, however, it seems that rumor has a little more meat backing it up.
For as long as anyone can remember, Bugatti has been a one-model marque. For the past seven years, that model has been the Veyron. Before that, it was the EB110. In the 1950s, it was the Type 101. In fact, you'd have to go back to the late 30s to find more than one line of vehicles coming out of Molsheim, when the Type 57, Type 46 and Type 55 all shared the same facility. But that could come about again if Wolfgang Dürheimer gets his way.