Volkswagen has sneakily announced plans to put the Beetle Dune Concept from the 2014 Detroit Motor Show into production in 2016. The confirmation didn't come in a press release as long as your arm (as is the norm among German automakers). Instead, it came as almost an aside during a promotional video for the high-riding Bug. And it isn't only going to be limited to the coupe like the concept either; a convertible version is also on the way.
VW Beetle Dune Concept
With its small size and rear-engine layout, the original Volkswagen Beetle was a common donor for dune buggy conversions. In the same vein as the 2000 VW New Beetle Dune Concept, VW is once again looking at the idea of a more rugged, off-road version of the Beetle with this just-confirmed Beetle Dune Concept that will make its debut next week at the Detroit Auto Show.
- Volvo shoots for self-drivers by 2021
- Jeep spends $1 billion on factories
- Find Parts & Accessories for your vehicle!
- Obama rolls out new EV plan
- Infiniti dealers ranked best, Tesla worst
- Compare Volvo XC90 and Lincoln MKX