VW has announced that all brands in the VW Group are getting the all-new common-rail 1.6-liter diesels across the range. This new engine, when installed into the Audi A3, manages to reduce both fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. While the 1.9-liter TDIe managed to burn 4.1 l/100 km, the new 1.6-liter lowers it to 3.8 l/100 km (a drop of 57 to 62 mpg U.S.), and CO2 emissions go from 109 to 99 g/km. Besides the new engine, the car gets all the standard improvements to keep diesel consumption low:
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies