A plan is finally in place for rebuilding the broken Tremec T56 transmission from our 1996 Impala SS; now it's time to carefully assemble some components in such a way that it'll survive the sort of abuse that we dish out every time the car hits the racetrack.
When we last visited this project*, we'd torn down a couple of Tremec T56 transmissions - the F-body/Viper hybrid that was making nasty rock-crushing noises from under the floorpan of our Impala SS, and one from a Chevy SSR that was presumably still in good working order, and perhaps could serve as a source of spare parts.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies