SolarBug models old (right) and new.
At the 2006 Alt Car Expo in Santa Monica, we caught sight of Steve Titus's Solar Bug. As you can see in the pictures in that post, the car was a bit boxy, kind of like a squished school bus, and had solar panels (which only provided a tiny bit of energy) on the side. The enclosed vehicle was built on an ATV chassis and classified as an NEV. Last year, the stats were a 30-mile range from a 4-6 hour charge time, all for $9,500 or so.
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies