Somewhere behind Hennessey setting a new top speed record at this year's Texas Mile with its camouflage Ford GT, a stock-looking 1996 Saab 900T pulled up to the line to see what it could do. The dealer showroom wheels wouldn't offer any indication that the 2.0-liter four-cylinder under the hood was getting help from a Garrett turbocharger, a tuned ECU and E85 gas to put out 465 horsepower at the front wheels.
Saab 900 Turbo
Hold on to your Dubbelmossas, rally fans. Legendary Swedish rally and rallycross driver Per "Pekka" Eklund is coming back, and he's coming back hard. How hard? A Saab 900 Turbo 16S built to Group A specs.. Sure, it's not diamond tough hard – like this – but we're still impressed. Not only that, but he'll be campaigning the 26-year old front-driver in the ADAC 24 Hours of Nürburgring. Also of note, it's been thirty years since Eklund competed in a 24 hour race.
- Jeremy Clarkson picks 10 Terrible Cars
- Mercedes-AMG GT goes topless for 2017
- Car Questions: Autoblog's new Q&A platform
- Emissions will kill us before we run out of oil
- How to go autonomous for under a grand
- Ride along with us in the new AutoblogVR app!