Perhaps only liberals believe David Frum is a conservative, but by any measure he's not a leftie. The former special assistant to President George W. Bush wrote a column for CNN last week that says that getting off of oil will be expensive and "will involve huge dislocations in American lifestyles and business." He also called hydrogen fuel cell cars and solar panels "magic machines."
Since it's Independence Day in America tomorrow, I thought it'd be fun to take a brief look at the meme of independence from oil. We certainly have heard the phrase from plenty different groups in the past few years. But is anyone really calling for "independence from oil"? What are some of the groups promoting this worldview? What about the completely different phrase "independence from foreign oil"?
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies