First Volt battery pack of the line – Click above for high-res image gallery
As was speculated several weeks ago, General Motors announced this morning that it will build a factory to manufacture lithium ion battery packs in Brownstown Township south of Detroit. The plant will produce the packs for the Chevrolet Volt and other upcoming vehicles using the Voltec powertrain. It will not, however, build the packs for the Buick plug-in hybrid crossover that debuts in 2011. Those will be built in a separate facility by LG Chem subsidiary Compact Power Inc.
- Volvo shoots for self-drivers by 2021
- Jeep spends $1 billion on factories
- Find Parts & Accessories for your vehicle!
- Obama rolls out new EV plan
- Infiniti dealers ranked best, Tesla worst
- Compare Volvo XC90 and Lincoln MKX