Fiat 500 Electric
Battery manufacturer Electrovaya has begun shipping lithium ion battery packs to Chrysler for its test fleet of plug-in hybrid Ram pickup trucks. Chrysler is building 140 trucks based on the two-mode hybrid system that was co-developed with General Motors. A non-plug version of the hybrid Ram was due to go into production this fall, but Chrysler canceled the program in March citing slow sales of other similar vehicles (that would be the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra hybrids).
European car rental agency Sixt has begun renting electric vehicles on a limited basis in Germany. Electric versions of the Fiat 500 and Micro-Vett Fiorino van are now available at outlets in Essen in northwestern Germany. The 500 has an 8 kilowatt-hour batter which is claimed to give it an 87-mile range (doubtful). The Fiorino is claimed to have a 100-mile range from a similar battery.
- Volvo shoots for self-drivers by 2021
- Jeep spends $1 billion on factories
- Find Parts & Accessories for your vehicle!
- Obama rolls out new EV plan
- Infiniti dealers ranked best, Tesla worst
- Compare Volvo XC90 and Lincoln MKX