The 54-cent-per-gallon tariff on ethanol will survive the ongoing energy bill negotiations on Capitol Hill. The Senate voted to keep the tariff 56-36, according to the Des Moines Register. This tariff makes imported ethanol more expensive, just as the 51-cent-per-gallon tax credit makes domestic ethanol cheaper.
Ethanol Corn Prices
We've already seen corn prices on the rise as demand rises thanks to more of the grain being diverted to ethanol production. As the population of both the United States and the planet continues to rise, the demand for fresh water goes up with it. Unfortunately ethanol production and climate change are both taking an ever larger gulp of the available supply. The recent mild winters in the great lakes region have led to less ice cover and greater evaporation from the Great Lakes. The lakes contain
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies