var digg_url = 'http://digg.com/autos/The_dipstick_s_demise_is_blamed_on_dilatory_drivers'; The practice of opening the hood at every fuel stop used to be routine. With an oil-soaked rag in hand, the worker reached over and pulled out the hot metal dipstick, and after a quick cleaning swipe, the dipstick was plunged back into its tube and pushed down into the sump of scalding oil. Withdrawn again, a tell-tale black film in the middle of the scored lines marked the oil level very accurately.
Castrol's "Think With Your Dipstick" campaign, one of the more memorable commercials we can recall for a motor oil, is currently plying the airwaves. An enigmatic Scotsman ambushes schlubs who proclaim "all synthetic oils are the same," delivering a deadly whip across the legs and exhorting the men to "Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!"
- Volvo shoots for self-drivers by 2021
- Jeep spends $1 billion on factories
- Find Parts & Accessories for your vehicle!
- Obama rolls out new EV plan
- Infiniti dealers ranked best, Tesla worst
- Compare Volvo XC90 and Lincoln MKX