Although the existence of the Volkswagen Beetle dates back to the early 1930s, it wasn't until 1949 that the first of what would turn out to be millions would find its way to the US. Sixty-five years ago this month, Dutch businessman Ben Pon, Sr. brought the first Beetle – or Type 1 – to the US, and Volkswagen is marking the occasion not with a special edition, but with a small gallery of images showing a gorgeous '49 Type 1 alongside a 2014 Beetle.
1949 VW Beetle
- Jeremy Clarkson picks 10 Terrible Cars
- Mercedes-AMG GT goes topless for 2017
- Car Questions: Autoblog's new Q&A platform
- Emissions will kill us before we run out of oil
- How to go autonomous for under a grand
- Ride along with us in the new AutoblogVR app!