2016 Audi S8 Plus Quick Spin
Go big or go home.
EngineTwin-Turbo 4.0L V8
Power605 HP / 517 LB-FT
0-60 Time3.7 Seconds
Top Speed190 MPH
Curb Weight4,685 LBS
MPG16 City / 26 HWY
The 85-horse boost in power over the outgoing S8 comes from different valve timing, new exhaust valves, and modified turbochargers. The S8 Plus is docile enough around town to carpool to the company luncheons, but point it towards some wide open spaces, and it's a blistering executive express.
- Much of our Florida test was done in conditions ranging from damp to deluge. Despite the fact that the Audi had summer tires on its 21-inch wheels, the S8 was startlingly sure-footed. Thanks, Quattro all-wheel drive, and a set of better-than-expected Dunlop tires.
- Power is linear and progressive, and the eight-speed Tiptronic transmission is prepared to downshift at a moment's notice, but is never busy or intrusive. We seldom used the manual shift paddles behind the steering wheel.
- The comparison between the Dodge Charger Hellcat and this S8 Plus is admittedly absurd, but they are big, heavy, four-door cars with monster motors. And while the Hellcat wants you to hear and feel every engine revolution and supercharger whine, the S8 Plus does all it can to shield you from the drama taking place under the hood. Which is why you look down and suddenly you're going 90.
- "Dynamic steering" allows for adjustments in steering feel, and we weren't fans in the stiffest setting – it felt notchy and artificial. Comfort mode felt more natural and still gives you all the feedback you need.
- "Adaptive sport air suspension," though, we had no problem with. It makes short work of potholes and irregular pavement, but firms up when you are cornering – admittedly, in Florida, we had to seek out the rare corners. This is a state with roads designed using a T-square.
- The aluminum body weighs just 510 pounds. The overall weight of 4,685 pounds, though, means there is still a lot of mass to slow down and steer through corners. At least that mass is concentrated down low, helping reduce body roll. The weight, though, makes for a superb highway ride – solid and unshakable.
- There's a Black Optic exterior package that includes carbon fiber mirror housings, a black single-frame grille, window surrounds, a carbon front spoiler blade, diffuser trim, and darkened taillights. We like it, but aren't sure about the matte silver paint, which was certainly striking, but we'd hate to ask the corner body shop to match it after a fender-bender.
- Nobody does interiors better than Audi. This S8 Plus has a logical, convenient inventory of gauges and controls, understated but high-quality. Front seats were firm and supportive and adjustable enough to make most any sized passenger comfortable.
- The S8 Plus, incidentally, is offered in standard wheelbase length only (117.8 inches), while the other A8 models are offered as long-wheelbase (122.9 inches). Still, the rear seat room wasn't bad, and trunk space was more than adequate.
A luxury car capable of hitting 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and still docile enough to carpool for those business luncheons to celebrate your promotion? Yeah, that's the right choice. Power isn't always everything, but in this case, the S8 Plus is definitely the A8 we'd have.
Autoblog accepts vehicle loans from auto manufacturers with a tank of gas and sometimes insurance for the purpose of evaluation and editorial content. Like most of the auto news industry, we also sometimes accept travel, lodging and event access for vehicle drive and news coverage opportunities. Our opinions and criticism remain our own — we do not accept sponsored editorial.
Audi S8 Information
- Most and least efficient car companies
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models