Like the sedan, the new hatch comes to market with a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder good for 153 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque. That's it – no naturally aspirated engines here. That engine will be paired with either a six-speed manual or a HydraMatic six-speed auto. Fuel economy should be just as impressive as the sedan, projected to hit 40 miles per gallon on the highway.
While looks are subjective, we think that the Cruze Hatchback may be sharper-looking than the sedan. The long, pointy nose looks more balanced with the long roof. The rear end looks good, but that rear aperture is awfully tiny and sits above a high rear bumper – not ideal for a vehicle that consumers will buy because of its versatility.
We've got a small gallery from the media scrum at the Cruze Hatchback's Detroit debut above, as well as full video of the press conference with live reaction below. Have a look.
HERE'S THE STORY
Ahead of its debut at the North American International Auto Show, Chevrolet today introduced the 2017 Cruze Hatchback. Developed with all the technologies and dynamic driving attributes of the all-new 2016 Cruze sedan, the new hatch adds a functional and sporty choice for customers. It joins Colorado and Trax as the latest Chevrolets to push into new segments.
The Cruze Hatch has the same, class-leading 106.3-inch (2,700 mm) wheelbase as sedan models, but features a unique roof and rear-end structure – including wraparound taillamps and an integrated spoiler at the top of the liftgate. It opens to offer 18.5 cubic feet (524 liters) of cargo space behind the rear seat. With the rear seat folded, cargo space expands to 42 cubic feet (1,189 liters).
"With 9 percent market growth in small hatchbacks last year, it's the perfect time to bring the Cruze Hatch to America," said Alan Batey, president, General Motors North America and Global Chevrolet. "As Cruze continues to set the tone for Chevrolet globally, it articulates the brand promise of offering cars with the latest technologies, more features and greater efficiency, performance and safety with fresh, distinctive styling."
ABOUT THE NEW CRUZE
An all-new, more rigid and lighter architecture is the Cruze's foundation for driving dynamism, while also playing a significant role in safety and efficiency. It is more than 200 pounds (91 kg) lighter than the previous-generation model due largely to a body structure that is 100 pounds lighter and an engine that's 44 pounds (20 kg) lighter.
The Cruze lineup in North America is offered in L, LS, LT and Premier – and a more expressive RS package, featuring unique front and rear fascias, rocker panels, rear spoiler, fog lamps and – on the Premier model – 18-inch wheels.
The 2017 Cruze Hatch will be offered in LT and Premier trims, and with the RS package.
- Segment-exclusive standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility via the MyLink radio systems and available 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot
- More standard safety features than any other compact car – including Corolla and Civic – with available adaptive features including Lane Keep Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Park Assist
- Available Teen Driver feature helps support safe driving habits and offers driving statistics for parents
- Standard 1.4L turbo engine with direct injection and Stop/Start technologies, electric power steering and, on Premier models, a Z-link rear suspension
- Interior with midsize-level roominess, including two inches greater rear legroom than Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra
- Available features include a heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, Athens leather-appointed seating surfaces, true French seams and halogen projector-beam headlamps with LED signature lighting.
- Cruze is Chevrolet's best-selling car around the world, with 3.5 million sold since it went on sale in 2008
- Since Cruze's introduction, Chevrolet's retail share of the segment has grown from 5.8 to 9.4 percent
- 35 percent of Cruze customers are new to Chevrolet
- In the U.S., Cruze is the segment's second-best seller to customers under 25.