Remains of Kansas man found at lake bottom 23 years later
Fremont Carl O'Berg Jr.'s 1981 Chevy Citation was discovered in Hillsdale Lake in Miami County, Kansas, and autopsy results confirmed his identity, Kansas City's KMBC reported. He was 57 at the time of his disappearance, which has perplexed authorities for years.
A sonar image taken by fisherman Tim Leeper on March 17 was the breakthrough that led to the discovery of the wreck. The lake had been searched before, but investigators missed the sunken car, the television station said.
Authorities don't believe foul play was involved. In a statement, O'Berg's family told KMBC it brings "much-needed closure."
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies