Driver held in SXSW fatal accident could get death penalty
The 21-year-old had been driving the wrong way down a one-way street in an attempt to evade police, who had tried to pull him over on suspicion of drunk driving. After the accident, Owens attempted to flee on foot before being captured by police wielding Tasers. His bond sits at $3 million, according to CNN.
Witnesses on the scene have described the harrowing event as "like something out of a movie." Videos, some graphic, have been uploaded to YouTube and social media, making this accident stand out in the minds of Americans. A video report from CNN can be seen here, but as we said, some footage may be disturbing.
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models