Volkswagen Golf plug-in hybrid now due in 2014
The Golf Mk7 Plug-In Hybrid, set for a 2014 launch date, will pair a 148-horsepower, 1.4-liter gas engine with a 100-horsepower electric motor that will deliver mind-boggling fuel economy equivalent of 188 miles per gallon – on the more lenient European testing cycle, at least. Performance should be well-received, too, since the car will be able to scoot from 0 to 60 miles per hour in about seven and a half seconds and will be able to go 31 miles in electric-only mode.
The Golf Mk7 Plug-In Hybrid will have the same powertrain as the Audi A3 E-tron PHEV. That car will be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show next month. Our first drive review of the standard 2014 Golf is available here.
VW Golf Information
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models