On top of the EPA-estimated highway fuel economy rating of 38 miles per gallon, General Motors is emphasizing other perks that the four-passenger, five-door hatchback Spark has to offer. There's the lowest starting MSRP in the mini-car segment and more passenger and cargo room than competitors like the Scion iQ and Fiat 500. Spark is also the only mini car to offer the MyLink Radio touch screen infotainment system.
More interesting to us is the fact that the Spark will be GM's second plug-in product. The 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV will be priced under $25,000 with tax incentives. When it rolls out, the Spark EV will be available for sale in California, Oregon, Canada, South Korea and other global markets. We'll see if the kids these days take to the EV like they do to the gas version.
Mini car attracting one in two buyers from non-GM brands
DETROIT – Early buyer data for the Chevrolet Spark shows that 29 percent of buyers are under 35, more than half are coming from non-General Motors' brands, and price is a big selling point.
According to Chevy Spark early buyer data, Spark owners are:
- The next-generation customer – Spark is "igniting" the interest of some of Chevrolet's youngest buyers, with 29 percent of customers under 35.
- New to Chevy – Nearly 54 percent of Spark purchases are conquest sales – buyers who are new to the brand. More than one in five buyers is coming from an import car brand.
- Majority female – Fifty-one percent of Sparks are purchased by women, more than any other Chevrolet vehicle.
- Sizzling with Salsa – Twenty-three percent of Spark owners are choosing Salsa Red, making it the Spark's most popular exterior color. Jalapeno Green and Denim Blue are the second- and third-most popular Spark colors.
- Seeking a value and fuel economy – Early Spark owners indicate their most important reasons for purchasing a Spark were fuel economy and price to value.
The 2013 Chevrolet Spark, a four-passenger, five-door hatchback, was designed to challenge what's possible in the mini car segment. Spark is the only car in its segment to provide MyLink Radio – a seven-inch color touch screen radio capable of displaying smartphone-based music, videos, photos and contacts for hands-free calling.
The Spark has the lowest starting MSRP in the mini care segment, and offers competitive EPA-estimated fuel economy of 38 mpg highway.
Though small on the outside, Spark offers more passenger and cargo room than other mini cars, with 225 percent more cargo room than a Scion iQ and 20 percent more than a Fiat 500.
Launched in Korea in 2009 and now available in almost every country in the world, the Spark came to the U.S. market is in response to the growing popularity of mini cars among U.S. consumers.
Expanding the Spark lineup, the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV is designed to make the trip as electrifying as the destination. It will be priced under $25,000 with tax incentives and will be available in California, Oregon, Canada, South Korea and other global markets.
For more information on the 2013 Chevy Spark, visit www.chevrolet.com/Spark
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.