Volkswagen cooking up lightweight Carbon GTI
Word has it VW will leave the drivetrain untouched from the upcoming Mark VII GTI, which means buyers can expect to find the same turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine under the hood good for around 222 horsepower (the 2012 model makes do with an even 200 horses). Even so, the Weight Watchers treatment should help the Carbon GTI slim its 0-60 dash to below six seconds.
The model may be a test platform for manufacturing techniques that Volkswagen plans to employ on the next-generation Audi MLB platform. The German automaker will likely spread the cost of developing the machine across greener Golf iterations, including a hybrid and an electric model.
VW GTI Information
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models