Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion puts old tin fender to fender
As the featured marque, a total of 45 original Shelby Cobra racers hit the track for the most anticipated race. With 289 and 427 models going tire to tire, including the last Daytona Coupe ever built, onlookers got a chance to take in a rare sight. Even with some competitors' cars pushing past 50 years old, the leaders tore down the front straight at 125 mph. A few cars wound up calling it quits before the checkered flag fell due to mechanical failures, and the Daytona Coupe wound up with some wrinkled sheet metal after an off in turn 3.
Check out the gallery above for a look at some of the competitors on hand, and stay tuned for a brief video of the cars falling through the corkscrew.
- Great used cars for less than $10,000
- Owners say these cars aren't very good deals
- New Car Buying Guides
- Cheapest new automobiles in America
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Find and compare 2017 Models