Bob Lutz and his Volt-like truck visit Jay Leno's Garage
Leno seems pretty taken with the final product, saying he can't tell a difference between the VTrux plug-in hybrid and a standard Silverado pickup, save for its quiet operation. Just like in the Chevrolet Volt, once the batteries go dead, the V6 under the hood takes over to turn a generator to provide power to charge the batteries of the electric motor once again. It sounds like a pretty neat setup, though there's always the looming question of cost – Via Motors estimates the price of a Silverado-based VTRUX at $79,000 – when built "in volume." Check out the full episode of Jay Leno's Garage featuring Bob Lutz below.
Chevy Silverado 1500 Information
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies